Help with battery

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1

Help with battery

Post by CharlesVjr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Post by CharlesVjr
Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:02 pm

I am building a robot using 3 24v 3amp wheelchair motors one will need to run full time for an accessory and the other 2 will drive the bot tank style I was wondering what would be a good choice of battery to power the whole rig it will weigh around 600-800 lbs
I am building a robot using 3 24v 3amp wheelchair motors one will need to run full time for an accessory and the other 2 will drive the bot tank style I was wondering what would be a good choice of battery to power the whole rig it will weigh around 600-800 lbs
CharlesVjr offline

Post by MarcoP » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Post by MarcoP
Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi

I think there are two main points you have to decide regarding the batteries:
Their maximum current output and capacity.

Assuming you have all 3 motors running that would be 9A current. However stall current for the motors (what it draws when starting from a stopped position) is much higher.
So if you want good acceleration you will need much higher current batteries.

Regarding capacity, it also depends on the use. How long do you want the battery to last? Are you going to be running it at constant speeds or lot of speed changes?

Without knowing that data it's hard to recommend an adequate battery.

Rgds
Hi

I think there are two main points you have to decide regarding the batteries:
Their maximum current output and capacity.

Assuming you have all 3 motors running that would be 9A current. However stall current for the motors (what it draws when starting from a stopped position) is much higher.
So if you want good acceleration you will need much higher current batteries.

Regarding capacity, it also depends on the use. How long do you want the battery to last? Are you going to be running it at constant speeds or lot of speed changes?

Without knowing that data it's hard to recommend an adequate battery.

Rgds
MarcoP offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by CharlesVjr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Post by CharlesVjr
Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:47 pm

I would need the batteries to last 3-4 hours and there will be a lot of speed and direction changes on the 2 drive motors but constant on the one accessories motor
I would need the batteries to last 3-4 hours and there will be a lot of speed and direction changes on the 2 drive motors but constant on the one accessories motor
CharlesVjr offline

Post by MarcoP » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Post by MarcoP
Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 pm

To use a rule of thumb, you can assume constant 3A on accessory motor, and giving you want a lot of speed changes, i will assume average will be around 125% of nominal current for drive motors.

So it will be 4hours*(3A+2motors*3A*1,25) = 42Ah at 24V

You should be able to get two standard 12V (in series) or one 24V car lead battery with that capacity. But it will be heavy.

Lipo's would be a better option but you would probably have to use several in parallel which is a bit tricky...

Regards
To use a rule of thumb, you can assume constant 3A on accessory motor, and giving you want a lot of speed changes, i will assume average will be around 125% of nominal current for drive motors.

So it will be 4hours*(3A+2motors*3A*1,25) = 42Ah at 24V

You should be able to get two standard 12V (in series) or one 24V car lead battery with that capacity. But it will be heavy.

Lipo's would be a better option but you would probably have to use several in parallel which is a bit tricky...

Regards
MarcoP offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by CharlesVjr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Post by CharlesVjr
Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 pm

So 2 65ah 12v lead acid batteries wired in series would be plenty to run the whole rig and also am not worried about the weight but thanks alot
So 2 65ah 12v lead acid batteries wired in series would be plenty to run the whole rig and also am not worried about the weight but thanks alot
CharlesVjr offline

5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1