Advice on remote control

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1

Advice on remote control

Post by Robo420 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Post by Robo420
Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi there. I am about to TRY to build a heavy duty wheeled robot. I plan to use the motors and gears out of a power wheelchair and run them "tank style" to two wheels each. I was wondering how I am going to control it remotely. I need your basic forward and reverse X2, turns will be done tank style (forward on one side and reverse on the other. Also I need to have several push buttons on it to control a horn, a small water pump (for spraying targets/foes, he he he), to actuate a few "yet to be determined" add ons, and to turn on and off led lighting. The main thing I would like is a decent range of 100-150 feet. Any tips, dos, don'ts, or advice on where I might source the parts to do this would be great! I am in my second year of school for Computer and Electronics Engineering so I am not a total laymen. That being said, I AM still only a student; so easy on the big words! ;-) Thanks in advance for any replies, Steve.
Hi there. I am about to TRY to build a heavy duty wheeled robot. I plan to use the motors and gears out of a power wheelchair and run them "tank style" to two wheels each. I was wondering how I am going to control it remotely. I need your basic forward and reverse X2, turns will be done tank style (forward on one side and reverse on the other. Also I need to have several push buttons on it to control a horn, a small water pump (for spraying targets/foes, he he he), to actuate a few "yet to be determined" add ons, and to turn on and off led lighting. The main thing I would like is a decent range of 100-150 feet. Any tips, dos, don'ts, or advice on where I might source the parts to do this would be great! I am in my second year of school for Computer and Electronics Engineering so I am not a total laymen. That being said, I AM still only a student; so easy on the big words! ;-) Thanks in advance for any replies, Steve.
Robo420 offline

Post by limor » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:13 am

Post by limor
Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:13 am

the range you mentioned can be handled by RC remotes.
the number of nobs and buttons are also handled by these RC remotes.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... stems.html

In robotics this would typically be handled in software and TCP/IP protocols over WiFi or Bluetooth but this would apply for shorter ranges. Robotics is about autonomy and therefore the robot would have to be able to do things by himself should the remote control disappear.
the range you mentioned can be handled by RC remotes.
the number of nobs and buttons are also handled by these RC remotes.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... stems.html

In robotics this would typically be handled in software and TCP/IP protocols over WiFi or Bluetooth but this would apply for shorter ranges. Robotics is about autonomy and therefore the robot would have to be able to do things by himself should the remote control disappear.
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Robo420 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Post by Robo420
Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks, so I have my terms off. Let me make sure I am with you now. A "Robot" is something like the terminatior, (or hopes to be). Is what I am trying to build a "Rover" platform for robotics?
Thanks, so I have my terms off. Let me make sure I am with you now. A "Robot" is something like the terminatior, (or hopes to be). Is what I am trying to build a "Rover" platform for robotics?
Robo420 offline

Post by limor » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Post by limor
Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:42 pm

this is my personal take on things. I see distinction between a remote controlled mechanical wheeled flame trowing vehicle as one thing that is not a robot. but if you add autonomy or some intelligence then it is a robot.
mechanized things that have legs get a discount on these terms because it is complicated enough to make them walk so they can be called robots even if they are not autonomous.
this is my personal take on things. I see distinction between a remote controlled mechanical wheeled flame trowing vehicle as one thing that is not a robot. but if you add autonomy or some intelligence then it is a robot.
mechanized things that have legs get a discount on these terms because it is complicated enough to make them walk so they can be called robots even if they are not autonomous.
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Robo420 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Post by Robo420
Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Good to know. Hey how many posts do I need to be able to post links so I can get some opinions on the remote I bought. New to rc-ing stuff, but I am a fast learner. :)
Good to know. Hey how many posts do I need to be able to post links so I can get some opinions on the remote I bought. New to rc-ing stuff, but I am a fast learner. :)
Robo420 offline

5 postsPage 1 of 1
5 postsPage 1 of 1