Dagu 4-channel motor controller issues

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
1 postPage 1 of 1
1 postPage 1 of 1

Dagu 4-channel motor controller issues

Post by KirkHamster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Post by KirkHamster
Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

I got the Dagu 4-motor controller board a month ago, to run a Rover 5 and although it is working; i noticed that all the red and black motor output 2-pin connector from the Rover had opposite wiring from the controller (red wires only fit on GND and black wires only fit on 5v. )

Quite inexperienced with the electronics part of Arduino tinkering, I supposed that since it's all opposite all around the 4 connectors, it should work, and it did, but when i write a motor direction to the controller to say, move the left wheels, i get the opposite reaction on each wheel on that side.

so when telling channel 1 and 3 that i want forward movement, it stalled. same with channel 2 and 4 (right wheels). i had to write some code to invert the movement on channel 3 and 4 to have it work as expected. (so i could just make a 'move(forward,forward,speed)' function and pass that directly to the controller).

luckily i was prepared and was able to cut the engine power right away. no smoke or fried chips. (and i am running on the supplied 6XAA,but this controller is rated for at least 12; maybe even 14 or 16)

speed works the same on all 4 channels, so i must have wired everything correctly. i've checked and double checked the wiring.

although there seems to be no problems after writing some creative code, i am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the board (this is probably a newer revision than the docs are for, namely the one with the blue PCB . the one they ship now, and that i have, is the red PCB.).

most importantly, am i damaging any circuitry by continuing to do this; even if it seems to work ?

note that it is not stalling anymore but i was wondering if this issue is rooted in the opposite red/black wires from the motors or if the things are labelled wrong on the Dagu board or if it really IS my wiring!
I got the Dagu 4-motor controller board a month ago, to run a Rover 5 and although it is working; i noticed that all the red and black motor output 2-pin connector from the Rover had opposite wiring from the controller (red wires only fit on GND and black wires only fit on 5v. )

Quite inexperienced with the electronics part of Arduino tinkering, I supposed that since it's all opposite all around the 4 connectors, it should work, and it did, but when i write a motor direction to the controller to say, move the left wheels, i get the opposite reaction on each wheel on that side.

so when telling channel 1 and 3 that i want forward movement, it stalled. same with channel 2 and 4 (right wheels). i had to write some code to invert the movement on channel 3 and 4 to have it work as expected. (so i could just make a 'move(forward,forward,speed)' function and pass that directly to the controller).

luckily i was prepared and was able to cut the engine power right away. no smoke or fried chips. (and i am running on the supplied 6XAA,but this controller is rated for at least 12; maybe even 14 or 16)

speed works the same on all 4 channels, so i must have wired everything correctly. i've checked and double checked the wiring.

although there seems to be no problems after writing some creative code, i am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the board (this is probably a newer revision than the docs are for, namely the one with the blue PCB . the one they ship now, and that i have, is the red PCB.).

most importantly, am i damaging any circuitry by continuing to do this; even if it seems to work ?

note that it is not stalling anymore but i was wondering if this issue is rooted in the opposite red/black wires from the motors or if the things are labelled wrong on the Dagu board or if it really IS my wiring!
KirkHamster offline

1 postPage 1 of 1
1 postPage 1 of 1