Connect Sharp infrared sensors to Wild Thumper motor control

Traditional mobile robotics is all about wheeled robots.
2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1

Connect Sharp infrared sensors to Wild Thumper motor control

Post by Grumpybeard » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Post by Grumpybeard
Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Purchased some sharp infrared sensors that I wish to connect to the Dagu Wild Thumper motor controller for power and data.

I assme these connect to the Analog inputs of the motor controller?

The sharp sensor has a 3 pin JST connector. I imagine I would need a JST cable as a start:

http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... cts_id/614

These cables are open-ended at one end. I see the analog inputs are 2 pin, and I dont know what connector type/pitch size they are.

If anyone can recommend what needs to be wired onto the other end of the JST cable it would be most appreciated, even better if there is already a pre-prepared cable at both ends?

Many thanks!
Purchased some sharp infrared sensors that I wish to connect to the Dagu Wild Thumper motor controller for power and data.

I assme these connect to the Analog inputs of the motor controller?

The sharp sensor has a 3 pin JST connector. I imagine I would need a JST cable as a start:

http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... cts_id/614

These cables are open-ended at one end. I see the analog inputs are 2 pin, and I dont know what connector type/pitch size they are.

If anyone can recommend what needs to be wired onto the other end of the JST cable it would be most appreciated, even better if there is already a pre-prepared cable at both ends?

Many thanks!
Grumpybeard offline

Post by BotThoughts » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Post by BotThoughts
Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Digging up old post. :)

Yes, you need a particular JST cable (Acroname sells them among others who sell the Sharp sensors). They're 5V analog sensors.

Looks like you need your basic 0.1" pin header, crimp female connectors on the other end. You can get the female crimp connectors and housings from Pololu for a decent price in small quantities.

FWIW, I'm building interface boards ("A2D") to convert the Sharp sensors to digital (I2C) with oversampling and filtering to reduce noise and increase resolution. So I have been playing with them a bit :) Happy to help.

If the boards would help I'll let you have a couple as I'm looking for testers. (Or maybe you're the fellow from Parallax forums who is doing a Wild Thumper project) :D
Digging up old post. :)

Yes, you need a particular JST cable (Acroname sells them among others who sell the Sharp sensors). They're 5V analog sensors.

Looks like you need your basic 0.1" pin header, crimp female connectors on the other end. You can get the female crimp connectors and housings from Pololu for a decent price in small quantities.

FWIW, I'm building interface boards ("A2D") to convert the Sharp sensors to digital (I2C) with oversampling and filtering to reduce noise and increase resolution. So I have been playing with them a bit :) Happy to help.

If the boards would help I'll let you have a couple as I'm looking for testers. (Or maybe you're the fellow from Parallax forums who is doing a Wild Thumper project) :D
BotThoughts offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1