comparison of 3d printers

3D printers, custom projects and parts for enhancing your robot or creating one from scratch.
16 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
16 postsPage 2 of 21, 2

Is it time for a standard 3D printer benchmark?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 6

Post by limor » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Post by limor
Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Mohit: i embedded the image into your post :)

IMHO any printer, kit or diy system can render good results if the operators knows his stuff. But out of the box, Replicator will create good results without any requirements from the operator.

- the type of linear motion guides used in a 3D printer are critical to repeatability of and reliability of the print. You can make a reprap for 300GBP but your print will rarely look as good as ones made by Replicator2. this is especially true where the printing head is heavy and its momentum becomes noticeable in the print (ghosting). Entry level hobby CNCs are better suited for 3D printing then many low cost 3D printers.

- with ABS you need to contain the heat around the structure being built. A cold breeze in the room can deform an ABS print. We usually put a cardboard box around the printer when it is in use. The layers may shrink and pull up the underlying layers creating warping and cracks. I've seen software updates that addressed some of these issues in the past.
Mohit: i embedded the image into your post :)

IMHO any printer, kit or diy system can render good results if the operators knows his stuff. But out of the box, Replicator will create good results without any requirements from the operator.

- the type of linear motion guides used in a 3D printer are critical to repeatability of and reliability of the print. You can make a reprap for 300GBP but your print will rarely look as good as ones made by Replicator2. this is especially true where the printing head is heavy and its momentum becomes noticeable in the print (ghosting). Entry level hobby CNCs are better suited for 3D printing then many low cost 3D printers.

- with ABS you need to contain the heat around the structure being built. A cold breeze in the room can deform an ABS print. We usually put a cardboard box around the printer when it is in use. The layers may shrink and pull up the underlying layers creating warping and cracks. I've seen software updates that addressed some of these issues in the past.
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Previous
Previous
16 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
16 postsPage 2 of 21, 2