New Maki 3d print robot

3D printers, custom projects and parts for enhancing your robot or creating one from scratch.
3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1

New Maki 3d print robot

Post by l3v3rz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Post by l3v3rz
Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Looks interesting - uses 6 AX-12 to create expressive head.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/391 ... noid-robot
Looks interesting - uses 6 AX-12 to create expressive head.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/391 ... noid-robot
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 am

Post by limor
Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 am

I don't like that they call it humanoid robot and when it is essentially mechatronic head and they are taking a free ride on the copyrighted makielab 3d printed dolls. the good thing is that they are prepping up a kickstarter crowd awareness to 3d printable robots so that when we come out with our 3d printable acrobatic humanoid there will be more media attention.
:wink:
I don't like that they call it humanoid robot and when it is essentially mechatronic head and they are taking a free ride on the copyrighted makielab 3d printed dolls. the good thing is that they are prepping up a kickstarter crowd awareness to 3d printable robots so that when we come out with our 3d printable acrobatic humanoid there will be more media attention.
:wink:
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by l3v3rz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Post by l3v3rz
Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Yes, humanoid is mis-leading - I think its their intention rather than what they currently have. They do say on their site they are prototyping adding arms with gripper and also further on to look at biped. So seems to be a "top down " approach. In fact its sounds like the'd like to do more but need money.

So yes, its another funding model for robotics using kickstarter to get funds and $20 for plans/STL files for what is basically an advanced furby seems good value (or may be a cheap kismet ) . I thought the head looked really good, expressive etc. They could make also make money selling a plush skin for it - and some ears ! Comparing to makielab seems a bit harsh - that just seems to be a customisable doll - not sure what there is market (american kids?)?

Look forward to seeing your acrobatic humanoid .
Yes, humanoid is mis-leading - I think its their intention rather than what they currently have. They do say on their site they are prototyping adding arms with gripper and also further on to look at biped. So seems to be a "top down " approach. In fact its sounds like the'd like to do more but need money.

So yes, its another funding model for robotics using kickstarter to get funds and $20 for plans/STL files for what is basically an advanced furby seems good value (or may be a cheap kismet ) . I thought the head looked really good, expressive etc. They could make also make money selling a plush skin for it - and some ears ! Comparing to makielab seems a bit harsh - that just seems to be a customisable doll - not sure what there is market (american kids?)?

Look forward to seeing your acrobatic humanoid .
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1