3D printing - for who?

3D printers, custom projects and parts for enhancing your robot or creating one from scratch.
22 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
22 postsPage 2 of 21, 2

Post by limor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Post by limor
Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 pm

there's a lot of general talk and future looking statements and ideas but no actual children doing stuff and teachers talking about it
there's a lot of general talk and future looking statements and ideas but no actual children doing stuff and teachers talking about it
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by mantrid » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Post by mantrid
Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:07 pm

I wasn't going to add to this thread but just to point out that my question
is not totally invalid I had this in my inbox this morning from something called "TCT Magazine"

"The 3D Printing Reality Distortion Field
Our industry is currently engulfed by a reality distortion field, bringing about many unrealistic expectations, unfounded optimism and is causing people to misunderstand the industry, its future and its capabilities. Here a new regular contributor to TCT, Joris Peels, takes a closer look at what all the fuss is about and discovers that even this cloud may have a silver lining! "
I wasn't going to add to this thread but just to point out that my question
is not totally invalid I had this in my inbox this morning from something called "TCT Magazine"

"The 3D Printing Reality Distortion Field
Our industry is currently engulfed by a reality distortion field, bringing about many unrealistic expectations, unfounded optimism and is causing people to misunderstand the industry, its future and its capabilities. Here a new regular contributor to TCT, Joris Peels, takes a closer look at what all the fuss is about and discovers that even this cloud may have a silver lining! "
mantrid offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Post by Gort
Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm

http://www.tctmagazine.com/blogs/guest- ... ion-field/

The author just does not get the maker movement / personal fabrication movement which 3d printing is a part of.

He needs to get out of his office and go to a Hackerspace or a Maker faire.

It is not what a business can do with 3d printing it is what individuals in their workshop can do with 3d printing.

Do not get me wrong, cheap easy to use 3d printers in the office can be a game changer too.

I have seen this attitude before large companies just do not see innovation as soon as smaller companies or the individual sometimes. Just too many layers of bureaucracy.

This is a great video. 3d systems has done so little to promote 3d printing in the last 30 years because they just do not understand what is going on.

phpBB [media]

The Maker movement has done more to promote the power of 3d printing in 3 years then 3d systems did in 30.

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2013/ ... er-of.html
http://www.tctmagazine.com/blogs/guest- ... ion-field/

The author just does not get the maker movement / personal fabrication movement which 3d printing is a part of.

He needs to get out of his office and go to a Hackerspace or a Maker faire.

It is not what a business can do with 3d printing it is what individuals in their workshop can do with 3d printing.

Do not get me wrong, cheap easy to use 3d printers in the office can be a game changer too.

I have seen this attitude before large companies just do not see innovation as soon as smaller companies or the individual sometimes. Just too many layers of bureaucracy.

This is a great video. 3d systems has done so little to promote 3d printing in the last 30 years because they just do not understand what is going on.

phpBB [media]

The Maker movement has done more to promote the power of 3d printing in 3 years then 3d systems did in 30.

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2013/ ... er-of.html
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Post by Gort
Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 pm

phpBB [media]

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2013/ ... ng-by.html
phpBB [media]

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2013/ ... ng-by.html
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by 3DmodelerDy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Post by 3DmodelerDy
Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Talking about 3D printing I can say that this is the best innovation for now. Because it opens wider opportunities to all of us. Now 3D printing is maybe costing too much, but in the future, after about 3-4 years when this thing will be available for everyone I think people will no go to fix theirs broken things but they will create another one.

The side that everyone can use different material to print model shows us that it is really universal thing. If we now can create real guns just from  weapons 3D model, that some time ago was 2D model.. to cookies to eat for a Christmas..or clothes for fashion shows.. 

Also, I am going to buy simple Computer Keyboard and print it because I am preparing a presentation about the 3D printing benefits on IT sphere and want to have just for real example. I want to show that everyone could have their own created keyboard, have its original product. This forum made me think more about this innovation and get really interesting information and users thoughts.
Talking about 3D printing I can say that this is the best innovation for now. Because it opens wider opportunities to all of us. Now 3D printing is maybe costing too much, but in the future, after about 3-4 years when this thing will be available for everyone I think people will no go to fix theirs broken things but they will create another one.

The side that everyone can use different material to print model shows us that it is really universal thing. If we now can create real guns just from  weapons 3D model, that some time ago was 2D model.. to cookies to eat for a Christmas..or clothes for fashion shows.. 

Also, I am going to buy simple Computer Keyboard and print it because I am preparing a presentation about the 3D printing benefits on IT sphere and want to have just for real example. I want to show that everyone could have their own created keyboard, have its original product. This forum made me think more about this innovation and get really interesting information and users thoughts.
3DmodelerDy offline

3D printing

Post by voodoochile » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 am

Post by voodoochile
Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 am

My robot has a 3D printed body & it looks awsome! Fully recommend! I get a company to print mine cos there machines are more precise than home machines. I use 3d print uk. :lol:
My robot has a 3D printed body & it looks awsome! Fully recommend! I get a company to print mine cos there machines are more precise than home machines. I use 3d print uk. :lol:
voodoochile offline

Post by tempusmaster » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:05 am

Post by tempusmaster
Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:05 am

mantrid wrote:Perhaps I didn't phrase the question clearly enough.
I have yet to see anything of general interest to the majority of people.

That's exactly the point.

3D printing isn't about "general interest" or the "majority of people". It's about personalization and empowering individuals to design/make/create what they need/want/desire.

Each of the things they create will probably be of little interest to majority of people, but have tremendous value for the individual.

In my own case, 3D printing has enabled me to create a video camera dolly for tracking shots; special fixtures and plumbing for my aquaponics systems; a custom mount for my webcam so I can remotely monitor print progress online; toys and puzzles for my grandchildren; parts for a friends pick & place circuitboard assembly system; and a bunch of other useful items.

3D printing gives people the ability to modify and custom tailor the world around them to suit their own needs. Not everyone will grok that, nor find it interesting or useful. But for those that do, the technology is invaluable. I feel the same way about it that I did when I got my first computer.
mantrid wrote:Perhaps I didn't phrase the question clearly enough.
I have yet to see anything of general interest to the majority of people.

That's exactly the point.

3D printing isn't about "general interest" or the "majority of people". It's about personalization and empowering individuals to design/make/create what they need/want/desire.

Each of the things they create will probably be of little interest to majority of people, but have tremendous value for the individual.

In my own case, 3D printing has enabled me to create a video camera dolly for tracking shots; special fixtures and plumbing for my aquaponics systems; a custom mount for my webcam so I can remotely monitor print progress online; toys and puzzles for my grandchildren; parts for a friends pick & place circuitboard assembly system; and a bunch of other useful items.

3D printing gives people the ability to modify and custom tailor the world around them to suit their own needs. Not everyone will grok that, nor find it interesting or useful. But for those that do, the technology is invaluable. I feel the same way about it that I did when I got my first computer.
Latest robot news, information, reviews, hacks, photos, and videos - with special on-site coverage from Japan
http://www.robots-dreams.com
tempusmaster offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous
Previous
22 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
22 postsPage 2 of 21, 2