The Stunning Robot Diary of UncleBob

3D printers, custom projects and parts for enhancing your robot or creating one from scratch.
9 postsPage 1 of 1
9 postsPage 1 of 1

Which robot do you think I should make 1->4

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 1

The Stunning Robot Diary of UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Post by UncleBob
Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:58 pm

This thread will be the diary for my next robot project.

I am not too sure yet what kind of robot I am going to build. I guess I want to take it slow to make sure it will be something stunning, instead of quick which will be forgotten just as quick.

It is in the 3D Printing forum section even though I am considering all possibilities which include the use of aluminium. It could be because I am testing with a 3D Printing right now.

The type of robots I can build fall into the below categories.

1. 80-100cm tall robot no on board cpu
* This can be used for demonstration purpose.
* The difficulty is to make the robot balance properly.

2. 60 cm tall robot with on board cpu similiar to Darwin OP.
* So I guess this would be for researchers who want a bigger size Darwin.
* Once again the challenge is to make it balance properly & to get the Darwin software working with my hardware.

3. 60 cm tall robot with no on board cpu.
* At the moment there are very few retail off the shelf robot of this size. So one might want this robot off the shelf for fighting or demostrations.
* The challenge is just to the physical size.

4. Bioloid type standard size robot with Darwin programming
* I guess there isn't much point getting this robot. Why not just buy or build a Darwin ?

The purpose of this robot is to build something I really like and might not commerically profitable. What I really like is for ordinary (not roboteer) people look at this robot and say "WOW this is really neat". And so I might be able to sell one or two to get my money back.

People who might consider to join me in this project one way or another can email me robertlam18@gmail.com . I don't know how the pace between us could work out but I think my skill and knowledge are limited so more contributions can make this a really stunning robot.
This thread will be the diary for my next robot project.

I am not too sure yet what kind of robot I am going to build. I guess I want to take it slow to make sure it will be something stunning, instead of quick which will be forgotten just as quick.

It is in the 3D Printing forum section even though I am considering all possibilities which include the use of aluminium. It could be because I am testing with a 3D Printing right now.

The type of robots I can build fall into the below categories.

1. 80-100cm tall robot no on board cpu
* This can be used for demonstration purpose.
* The difficulty is to make the robot balance properly.

2. 60 cm tall robot with on board cpu similiar to Darwin OP.
* So I guess this would be for researchers who want a bigger size Darwin.
* Once again the challenge is to make it balance properly & to get the Darwin software working with my hardware.

3. 60 cm tall robot with no on board cpu.
* At the moment there are very few retail off the shelf robot of this size. So one might want this robot off the shelf for fighting or demostrations.
* The challenge is just to the physical size.

4. Bioloid type standard size robot with Darwin programming
* I guess there isn't much point getting this robot. Why not just buy or build a Darwin ?

The purpose of this robot is to build something I really like and might not commerically profitable. What I really like is for ordinary (not roboteer) people look at this robot and say "WOW this is really neat". And so I might be able to sell one or two to get my money back.

People who might consider to join me in this project one way or another can email me robertlam18@gmail.com . I don't know how the pace between us could work out but I think my skill and knowledge are limited so more contributions can make this a really stunning robot.
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

The stunning outlook

Post by UncleBob » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Post by UncleBob
Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 pm

The most important factor in getting a stunning effect is the stunning outlook.

I think my robot needs a glossy, shinny, glassy look. I am looking into making the 3D printing plastic to look this way. I heard acetone vapour on ABS plastic can get a shinny smooth look. However I don't know if it can achieve the type of shininess I am after.

Well my printer don't have a heat bed so I can only print with PLA for now. I am conducting a simple experiment. I am printing a piece of Darwin OP chest from thingiverse. I also got myself some putty, 200,500,1000 sand papers, some spray paint and vanish. Basically I am to sand down the plastic, put on some putty, wet sand the putty, put on some primer, spray paint, some more wet sanding & spray painting and then finally many layers of vanish to give it that glassy look. Basically I am looking to paint it like one would with a car. I hope this works.

The most important factor in getting a stunning effect is the stunning outlook.

I think my robot needs a glossy, shinny, glassy look. I am looking into making the 3D printing plastic to look this way. I heard acetone vapour on ABS plastic can get a shinny smooth look. However I don't know if it can achieve the type of shininess I am after.

Well my printer don't have a heat bed so I can only print with PLA for now. I am conducting a simple experiment. I am printing a piece of Darwin OP chest from thingiverse. I also got myself some putty, 200,500,1000 sand papers, some spray paint and vanish. Basically I am to sand down the plastic, put on some putty, wet sand the putty, put on some primer, spray paint, some more wet sanding & spray painting and then finally many layers of vanish to give it that glassy look. Basically I am looking to paint it like one would with a car. I hope this works.

UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Post by Gort
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Cool, what printer are you using?
Cool, what printer are you using?
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 am

Post by UncleBob
Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 am

Hi Gort

I am using ultimaker.
Hi Gort

I am using ultimaker.
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by MOHIT JINDAL » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 am

Post by MOHIT JINDAL
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 am

Hi; Can anyone tell me how to get\achieve 100 microns layer thickness ?
It depends on nozzle mm or on software like slic3r :roll:
I am trying to print gears that requires strength and high precision. :wink:
Hi; Can anyone tell me how to get\achieve 100 microns layer thickness ?
It depends on nozzle mm or on software like slic3r :roll:
I am trying to print gears that requires strength and high precision. :wink:
MOHIT JINDAL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 am

Post by UncleBob
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 am

Most software will do it. The very popular one now is cura.

To actually able to achieve what the software telling it to do depends on the accuracy of your printer.
Most software will do it. The very popular one now is cura.

To actually able to achieve what the software telling it to do depends on the accuracy of your printer.
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by MOHIT JINDAL » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:02 am

Post by MOHIT JINDAL
Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:02 am

Ok I used 0.3mm nozzle but i got some lumps of plastic on the outside wall. I used solder to melt it.
Also I printed spur gears. In .stl file the teeths are pointed triangle like >
But after printing the teeths came out half circle )
Can you tell me the reason ? :roll:
Ok I used 0.3mm nozzle but i got some lumps of plastic on the outside wall. I used solder to melt it.
Also I printed spur gears. In .stl file the teeths are pointed triangle like >
But after printing the teeths came out half circle )
Can you tell me the reason ? :roll:
MOHIT JINDAL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 am

Post by UncleBob
Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 am

Why don't you show us a photos and your print settings
Why don't you show us a photos and your print settings
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer