Dilemma

Dedicated to the new Dynamic Anthropomorphic Robot with Intelligence - Open Platform By Robotis and related projects
3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1

Dilemma

Post by Mikerman50 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:33 pm

Post by Mikerman50
Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi all. My very 1st post on here. Im seriously considering getting into robotics again. I don't have a huge budget. I have seen a few nice pre built robots but nothing stands out to me that is built with a Rpi which i have spare. Would it be beneficial to buy a Darwin mini or build using a open board such as rpi or a ODROID-XU3? If only i could afford Nao lol
Thanks
Hi all. My very 1st post on here. Im seriously considering getting into robotics again. I don't have a huge budget. I have seen a few nice pre built robots but nothing stands out to me that is built with a Rpi which i have spare. Would it be beneficial to buy a Darwin mini or build using a open board such as rpi or a ODROID-XU3? If only i could afford Nao lol
Thanks
Mikerman50 offline

Re: Dilemma

Post by PaulL » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Post by PaulL
Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Well, in saying what has been said here before, what are your goals? :)

My interest is in a PC-based controller, or rather, an onboard PC controlling a controller on a bot. I'm working on a custom board, but that's a different story. If I could buy one today, it would be either a Bioloid GP (would need a controller retrofit), or a "HR-OS5" (Trossen), but the Bioloid would mean selling off my RN-1 gear, and it isn't worth it to me to walk away from what I have. The HR-OS5 is just too pricey.

The forums here are a bit ... eh, slow. Not quite as active as it used to be here.
Well, in saying what has been said here before, what are your goals? :)

My interest is in a PC-based controller, or rather, an onboard PC controlling a controller on a bot. I'm working on a custom board, but that's a different story. If I could buy one today, it would be either a Bioloid GP (would need a controller retrofit), or a "HR-OS5" (Trossen), but the Bioloid would mean selling off my RN-1 gear, and it isn't worth it to me to walk away from what I have. The HR-OS5 is just too pricey.

The forums here are a bit ... eh, slow. Not quite as active as it used to be here.
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Dilemma

Post by Mikerman50 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Post by Mikerman50
Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:51 pm

PaulL wrote:Well, in saying what has been said here before, what are your goals? :)

Well from the types of robot ive seen this past month i can certainly say that while i admire people starting with line following bots that is not what I'm after. Below is a list of things id like on it

Distance calculator. Facial recognition. Temperature sensor. Led mouth that shows mood. Lcd or possibly a small 5" screen to show status or activity. Touch sensors in hands and toes incase in bumps into things and detect if contact is made with objects. Voice recognition. Hard power switch which is directly linked to battery. Gps. It would be nice to have it all controlled by my raspberry pi. But don't think it will be powerful enough which is why i thought the odroiud x3u may help.

Very ambitious i know but it'd be nice for it to learn and interact with its surroundings and people.
PaulL wrote:Well, in saying what has been said here before, what are your goals? :)

Well from the types of robot ive seen this past month i can certainly say that while i admire people starting with line following bots that is not what I'm after. Below is a list of things id like on it

Distance calculator. Facial recognition. Temperature sensor. Led mouth that shows mood. Lcd or possibly a small 5" screen to show status or activity. Touch sensors in hands and toes incase in bumps into things and detect if contact is made with objects. Voice recognition. Hard power switch which is directly linked to battery. Gps. It would be nice to have it all controlled by my raspberry pi. But don't think it will be powerful enough which is why i thought the odroiud x3u may help.

Very ambitious i know but it'd be nice for it to learn and interact with its surroundings and people.
Mikerman50 offline

3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1