DARwIn-OP kit for only 6000 USD!

Dedicated to the new Dynamic Anthropomorphic Robot with Intelligence - Open Platform By Robotis and related projects
24 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
24 postsPage 2 of 21, 2

Post by PedroR » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Post by PedroR
Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi i-Bot

With regards to the software releases on sourceforge I don't really know which version is available and I don't really have information about their schedule.

From the Robotis end, they only provide us with information and support for the official DARwIn code (not the Upenn).

We don't really have any contact on Upenn to find out this information.

Maybe someone else here can answer that.

Regards
Pedro
Hi i-Bot

With regards to the software releases on sourceforge I don't really know which version is available and I don't really have information about their schedule.

From the Robotis end, they only provide us with information and support for the official DARwIn code (not the Upenn).

We don't really have any contact on Upenn to find out this information.

Maybe someone else here can answer that.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Looking forward

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 am

Post by UncleBob
Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 am

Hi Pedro

I am looking forward to your review. Your previous review on Kondos KRH2 & 3 were excellent. I really look forward to seeing your review from a user / consumer prespective.

Best,

PedroR wrote:Hi UncleBob

We'll receive the first units of DARwIn-Op on July 25th.

We'll get one for ourselves and will certainly publish our review. (which should only happen in early August due to the timescale of internal projects that are going on at the moment).

We'll also be getting some additional units for customers who've already reserved it although I'm sure if they're regularly active on our forum.

With regards to the Editions - Academic or Deluxe - the restrictions of the "academic" edition policy iare not as strict as they are with Nao for example.
Customers who have enough knowledge to perform self maintenance may have access to the less expensive Academic Edition.
It is assumed that "customers who can do self maintenance" don't need the Extended 2 year Warranty and are able to service the Robot themselves; a 1 year standard warranty is still included against manufacturing defects.

I believe (my personal opinion here) that due to the added complexity of DARwIn compared to other Robotis products (ie Bioloid) Robotis chooses to promote the Deluxe Edition to ensure the successful introduction of the Robot in the market because it includes unlimited support from the distributor for 2 years.

Having said this, customers who have enough expertise to perform self maintenance on the Robot can choose to purchase the edition that suits them better. In this case please contact us to check and purchase the edition that you would need/prefer.

We will post our review about DARwIn as soon as we receive on ourselves.
Limor has already tested and reviewed a DARwIn during Innorobo although, if I recall correctly, we were not supposed to publish much about it at the time.

Regards
Pedro
Hi Pedro

I am looking forward to your review. Your previous review on Kondos KRH2 & 3 were excellent. I really look forward to seeing your review from a user / consumer prespective.

Best,

PedroR wrote:Hi UncleBob

We'll receive the first units of DARwIn-Op on July 25th.

We'll get one for ourselves and will certainly publish our review. (which should only happen in early August due to the timescale of internal projects that are going on at the moment).

We'll also be getting some additional units for customers who've already reserved it although I'm sure if they're regularly active on our forum.

With regards to the Editions - Academic or Deluxe - the restrictions of the "academic" edition policy iare not as strict as they are with Nao for example.
Customers who have enough knowledge to perform self maintenance may have access to the less expensive Academic Edition.
It is assumed that "customers who can do self maintenance" don't need the Extended 2 year Warranty and are able to service the Robot themselves; a 1 year standard warranty is still included against manufacturing defects.

I believe (my personal opinion here) that due to the added complexity of DARwIn compared to other Robotis products (ie Bioloid) Robotis chooses to promote the Deluxe Edition to ensure the successful introduction of the Robot in the market because it includes unlimited support from the distributor for 2 years.

Having said this, customers who have enough expertise to perform self maintenance on the Robot can choose to purchase the edition that suits them better. In this case please contact us to check and purchase the edition that you would need/prefer.

We will post our review about DARwIn as soon as we receive on ourselves.
Limor has already tested and reviewed a DARwIn during Innorobo although, if I recall correctly, we were not supposed to publish much about it at the time.

Regards
Pedro
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 am

Post by Gort
Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 am

It looks like you can make your own OP clone for less than 5,000 USD now!

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -sale.html

:lol:
It looks like you can make your own OP clone for less than 5,000 USD now!

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -sale.html

:lol:
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PedroR » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:41 am

Post by PedroR
Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:41 am

Hi Gort

Yep, we've also got th Electronics up on our store now: http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... ts_id/3131
(fyi we've also got the FSR enabled feet and the Gripperas well)

While your calculations are absolutelly right, you still need to add frames.
Considering the weight of the whole thing, are you considering 3D Printing them?

Another alternative - because the CM-730 (included in the Elcrtonics kit) is ocmpatible with the 3pin (TTL - AX/MT-xxT) and 4 pin (RS485 - RX/EX/MX-xxR series) buses - is adapting the electronics to whatever robot you want.

In theory you could add this to a Bioloid PREMIUM (reconfiguring the leg assembly I believe) or put it on a GOP which definitely looks like a very early version (alpha) of DARwIn in terms of mechanical design.

This would put your own DARwIn-OP well under the $5k (probably around $2.5k if you take a PREMIUM or a Comprehensive kit)

This is very nice!

We just wish the Electronics were made available without the FitPC2i as it would probably bring the price down considerably and there are much cheaper alternatives available (and still capable of running the DARwInOP framework).

Regards
Pedro.
Hi Gort

Yep, we've also got th Electronics up on our store now: http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info ... ts_id/3131
(fyi we've also got the FSR enabled feet and the Gripperas well)

While your calculations are absolutelly right, you still need to add frames.
Considering the weight of the whole thing, are you considering 3D Printing them?

Another alternative - because the CM-730 (included in the Elcrtonics kit) is ocmpatible with the 3pin (TTL - AX/MT-xxT) and 4 pin (RS485 - RX/EX/MX-xxR series) buses - is adapting the electronics to whatever robot you want.

In theory you could add this to a Bioloid PREMIUM (reconfiguring the leg assembly I believe) or put it on a GOP which definitely looks like a very early version (alpha) of DARwIn in terms of mechanical design.

This would put your own DARwIn-OP well under the $5k (probably around $2.5k if you take a PREMIUM or a Comprehensive kit)

This is very nice!

We just wish the Electronics were made available without the FitPC2i as it would probably bring the price down considerably and there are much cheaper alternatives available (and still capable of running the DARwInOP framework).

Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Post by Gort
Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:20 pm

I was thinking along the same lines.

A Bioloid premium kit, CM-730 and a Raspberry PI was my idea. I was also thinking about a Xtion instead of the RGB camera too.

Yes, I could easily redesign and 3-D print out parts as needed.

Using the Bioloid-GP kit instead of the Bioloid premium kit is also a interesting idea too.

I think I would be happy if I could buy the CM-730 by itself.
I was thinking along the same lines.

A Bioloid premium kit, CM-730 and a Raspberry PI was my idea. I was also thinking about a Xtion instead of the RGB camera too.

Yes, I could easily redesign and 3-D print out parts as needed.

Using the Bioloid-GP kit instead of the Bioloid premium kit is also a interesting idea too.

I think I would be happy if I could buy the CM-730 by itself.
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PedroR » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Post by PedroR
Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Gort

afaik Robotis hasn't disclosed any plans to sell the individual components of the electronics kit.

It took Robotis 1 year to release the kit of DARwIn Electronics so we don't really know how long it might take for them to release the CM-730

having said this, the CM-730 is an item that has some demand, You're not the first one to show interest in getting only the CM 730 board to build the rest of the solution around it.

After all, the CM-730 is the only key part of DARwIn that can't be otherwise replaciated (ie you can always use other Embedded PCs, other Dynamixels or Robot kits) but the CM-730 integrated board with Power management, IMU, LED controls, etc isn't that simple to replace.

Regards
Pedro.
Hi Gort

afaik Robotis hasn't disclosed any plans to sell the individual components of the electronics kit.

It took Robotis 1 year to release the kit of DARwIn Electronics so we don't really know how long it might take for them to release the CM-730

having said this, the CM-730 is an item that has some demand, You're not the first one to show interest in getting only the CM 730 board to build the rest of the solution around it.

After all, the CM-730 is the only key part of DARwIn that can't be otherwise replaciated (ie you can always use other Embedded PCs, other Dynamixels or Robot kits) but the CM-730 integrated board with Power management, IMU, LED controls, etc isn't that simple to replace.

Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Post by Gort
Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Almost ready to place my order!! For 20 servos and the electronic parts kit!! :lol:
Almost ready to place my order!! For 20 servos and the electronic parts kit!! :lol:
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Yüz Germe

Post by estetikdrew555 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 am

Post by estetikdrew555
Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 am

This blog is really good for newbie like me and so much a lot of informative post. Truly I like it because I fully impressed to it…
--------------------------------------------------------------
Yüz Germe
This blog is really good for newbie like me and so much a lot of informative post. Truly I like it because I fully impressed to it…
--------------------------------------------------------------
Yüz Germe
estetikdrew555 offline

Estetik

Post by estetikdrew555 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 am

Post by estetikdrew555
Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 am

I really got to know a lot more from it.. I am a wondered for good knowledge here and there this blog very sportive for me every point of view.
------------------------------------------------------------
Estetik
I really got to know a lot more from it.. I am a wondered for good knowledge here and there this blog very sportive for me every point of view.
------------------------------------------------------------
Estetik
estetikdrew555 offline

Previous
Previous
24 postsPage 2 of 21, 2
24 postsPage 2 of 21, 2