Giger-OP

Dedicated to the new Dynamic Anthropomorphic Robot with Intelligence - Open Platform By Robotis and related projects
4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1

Giger-OP

Post by Tyberius » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Post by Tyberius
Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Well, after spending the last 3 months tinkering with my Darwin-OP, I'm thoroughly impressed with the software and performance. I am jumping on the Darwin bandwagon by converting my large 5.5kg humanoid over to the Darwin-OP software platform.

Giger currently uses 14 EX-106+, 7 RX-64, and 2 RX-24F. I'm using a FitPC2 and currently a borrowed CM-730 (sorry Darwin!) until I can get one separately.

Just completed the lasercut ABS rough prototype torso to house all the new electronics and start testing. Eventually going to replace the torso with 3D printed parts and slim it down some, it's a tad too blocky for my taste currently. I have a Point Grey FireflyMV for vision onboard.

Biggest challenge for me will be enabling 1024 & 4096 resolution servos to work simultaneously. Currently the Darwin code is all or none. Aside from that, it's a fairly straight forward conversion, at least in theory.

The airsoft guns are getting replaced with 3-finger grippers, and I'll be adding a PS3 controller for the option of remote control.

When the project is further along, I'll post up all my code changes and try my best to document the steps I took, problems I ran into, etc, during the conversion to the Darwin framework.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Well, after spending the last 3 months tinkering with my Darwin-OP, I'm thoroughly impressed with the software and performance. I am jumping on the Darwin bandwagon by converting my large 5.5kg humanoid over to the Darwin-OP software platform.

Giger currently uses 14 EX-106+, 7 RX-64, and 2 RX-24F. I'm using a FitPC2 and currently a borrowed CM-730 (sorry Darwin!) until I can get one separately.

Just completed the lasercut ABS rough prototype torso to house all the new electronics and start testing. Eventually going to replace the torso with 3D printed parts and slim it down some, it's a tad too blocky for my taste currently. I have a Point Grey FireflyMV for vision onboard.

Biggest challenge for me will be enabling 1024 & 4096 resolution servos to work simultaneously. Currently the Darwin code is all or none. Aside from that, it's a fairly straight forward conversion, at least in theory.

The airsoft guns are getting replaced with 3-finger grippers, and I'll be adding a PS3 controller for the option of remote control.

When the project is further along, I'll post up all my code changes and try my best to document the steps I took, problems I ran into, etc, during the conversion to the Darwin framework.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Last edited by Tyberius on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tyberius offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Tyberius » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:21 am

Post by Tyberius
Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:21 am

Tonight I finally flipped the switch and tested out my code modifications. Luckily he did not twist into a ball of servo smoke. So far all seems good; I'm tweaking the zero position using the new offset and Giger is standing under his own power.

Since the last post, I've re-assigned my servo IDs to more closely match Darwin, made some modifications to the chest, and have everything for the most part wired up.

I should mention that my intention with this project is to release it as an open source project; all the custom part 3d models + modified code + full parts list will be made available once I'm a bit further along.

Tonight I finally flipped the switch and tested out my code modifications. Luckily he did not twist into a ball of servo smoke. So far all seems good; I'm tweaking the zero position using the new offset and Giger is standing under his own power.

Since the last post, I've re-assigned my servo IDs to more closely match Darwin, made some modifications to the chest, and have everything for the most part wired up.

I should mention that my intention with this project is to release it as an open source project; all the custom part 3d models + modified code + full parts list will be made available once I'm a bit further along.

Tyberius offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by robofad » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:20 pm

Post by robofad
Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:20 pm

These are really cool. I wonder how much you've invested in these beauties. And how long did it take for you to put them up? Wish my boy can make me one of these someday. :roll:
These are really cool. I wonder how much you've invested in these beauties. And how long did it take for you to put them up? Wish my boy can make me one of these someday. :roll:
robofad offline

Post by tomy300 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:18 am

Post by tomy300
Sun May 06, 2012 8:18 am

What a huge robot :) this is a bot

what's the size of these thing?
What a huge robot :) this is a bot

what's the size of these thing?
tomy300 offline

4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1