Has anyone managed to clone an OP or made it to a Bioloid ?

Dedicated to the new Dynamic Anthropomorphic Robot with Intelligence - Open Platform By Robotis and related projects
18 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
18 postsPage 1 of 21, 2

Has anyone managed to clone an OP or made it to a Bioloid ?

Post by UncleBob » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Post by UncleBob
Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:15 pm

It had been 2 years since its released. I can't find any youtube of clone OP or people porting to code for order robots. Is it feasible ?
It had been 2 years since its released. I can't find any youtube of clone OP or people porting to code for order robots. Is it feasible ?
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Post by limor
Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 pm

we are porting Darwin code to large size humanoids
http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

Also google around, for example Mike's Bioloid Darwin
we are porting Darwin code to large size humanoids
http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

Also google around, for example Mike's Bioloid Darwin
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 am

Post by UncleBob
Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 am

Cheers
Cheers
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by i-Bot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Post by i-Bot
Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:13 pm

The OP code is easy to use on the Bioloid and is of significant value if you want to develop using a linux processor. It is all written in C/C++, so you see a complete implementation without using external applications for video processing etc. C/C++ is an advantage on processors like the raspi because Python is pretty slow on the pi.

The DARwin motion manager takes a while to understand, but is ok when you get into it. Because the DARwin framework integrates the same motion engine as Bioloid and talks to Roboplus, you can quickly download all your existing motions from Roboplus to the DARwin framework on the bioloid(not tasks though).

Running AX instead of MX is not a problem, because the current DARwin code does not actually depend on MX specific commands.

The greater challenges are finding suitable small, light low cost linux boards which can handle the video and dynamixel load. Fit-PC is rather big and heavy for the Bioloid, but smaller Raspi and MK802 come with performance challenges. This said, porting to smaller linux processors does work with some special hardware considerations, and a rather slower video frame rate. It builds and runs fine under Raspbian(Debian), and Ubuntu.

I have also run the DARwin framework on the Robobuilder, but the modifications were very large, and of less value. Though once done, the video integration is very useful.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and when you have a hardware configuration decided, I can help you build the DARwin framework for it.
The OP code is easy to use on the Bioloid and is of significant value if you want to develop using a linux processor. It is all written in C/C++, so you see a complete implementation without using external applications for video processing etc. C/C++ is an advantage on processors like the raspi because Python is pretty slow on the pi.

The DARwin motion manager takes a while to understand, but is ok when you get into it. Because the DARwin framework integrates the same motion engine as Bioloid and talks to Roboplus, you can quickly download all your existing motions from Roboplus to the DARwin framework on the bioloid(not tasks though).

Running AX instead of MX is not a problem, because the current DARwin code does not actually depend on MX specific commands.

The greater challenges are finding suitable small, light low cost linux boards which can handle the video and dynamixel load. Fit-PC is rather big and heavy for the Bioloid, but smaller Raspi and MK802 come with performance challenges. This said, porting to smaller linux processors does work with some special hardware considerations, and a rather slower video frame rate. It builds and runs fine under Raspbian(Debian), and Ubuntu.

I have also run the DARwin framework on the Robobuilder, but the modifications were very large, and of less value. Though once done, the video integration is very useful.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and when you have a hardware configuration decided, I can help you build the DARwin framework for it.
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Post by UncleBob
Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi there,

I just installed Ubuntu on a virtualbox. Next I will try to figure out how to compile and run the OP code and any other misc codes which to me still very daunting. The only piece of installation instruction I can find is this - http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~robocup/file ... Psetup.pdf

which is kind of outdated and not sure whether it is complete.

I think I also need to compile a piece of code from the forum that would mimic the CM730....

I wonder if I can connect my CM530 to my PC running ubuntu and get my Bioloid to move .....
Hi there,

I just installed Ubuntu on a virtualbox. Next I will try to figure out how to compile and run the OP code and any other misc codes which to me still very daunting. The only piece of installation instruction I can find is this - http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~robocup/file ... Psetup.pdf

which is kind of outdated and not sure whether it is complete.

I think I also need to compile a piece of code from the forum that would mimic the CM730....

I wonder if I can connect my CM530 to my PC running ubuntu and get my Bioloid to move .....
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by i-Bot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Post by i-Bot
Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:32 pm

I assume you will use a recent version Ubuntu, so you will need to do these changes too. This will allow you to compile the framework.

http://www.robotsource.org/xe/index.php ... egory=6982

There is no CM530 firmware that I am aware of that supports the DARwin framework directly, though you could port the CM730 firmware(source available) to the CM530. I just use the CM530 for the power supply and distribution, and run the dynamixels via USB2Dynamixel or better USB2AX from linux pc.

The DARwin framework has moved on since I put up the files which dummy the CM730, so they will need updating.
I assume you will use a recent version Ubuntu, so you will need to do these changes too. This will allow you to compile the framework.

http://www.robotsource.org/xe/index.php ... egory=6982

There is no CM530 firmware that I am aware of that supports the DARwin framework directly, though you could port the CM730 firmware(source available) to the CM530. I just use the CM530 for the power supply and distribution, and run the dynamixels via USB2Dynamixel or better USB2AX from linux pc.

The DARwin framework has moved on since I put up the files which dummy the CM730, so they will need updating.
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 am

Post by UncleBob
Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 am

i-Bot

Many thanks for that link which should be made more public for beginners like me.

I got Ubuntu 12.04 (but not the server version wonder if it is ok) inside Virtualbox.

Successfully compiled demo but got this error when try to run it.

Cannot identify '/dev/video0': 2, No such file or directory.

Maybe hardware is not installed or something hahah..... But not bad for first time compiling in Ubuntu.
i-Bot

Many thanks for that link which should be made more public for beginners like me.

I got Ubuntu 12.04 (but not the server version wonder if it is ok) inside Virtualbox.

Successfully compiled demo but got this error when try to run it.

Cannot identify '/dev/video0': 2, No such file or directory.

Maybe hardware is not installed or something hahah..... But not bad for first time compiling in Ubuntu.
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Post by UncleBob
Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 pm

ok got through that. Seems the webcam crashes Virtualbox and there is no cure at the moment so installed everything under VMWare instead.

Now need to install your dummy CM730...
ok got through that. Seems the webcam crashes Virtualbox and there is no cure at the moment so installed everything under VMWare instead.

Now need to install your dummy CM730...
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Post by UncleBob
Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi ibot

Yes the code had changed, I have copied

CM730.h
unsigned char emu_CM730_memory[MAXNUM_ADDRESS];
void Reset_CM730_Emulation(void);

CM730.cpp
Your code to the newer files

which compiled ok but I still getting "CM730 is used by another program"

Can you tell me which files and which codes I should to see why it is not connecting.

dmesg |grep tty

shows usb 3-1.2: FTDI USB Serial ......

so it should be available.

Thanks.
Hi ibot

Yes the code had changed, I have copied

CM730.h
unsigned char emu_CM730_memory[MAXNUM_ADDRESS];
void Reset_CM730_Emulation(void);

CM730.cpp
Your code to the newer files

which compiled ok but I still getting "CM730 is used by another program"

Can you tell me which files and which codes I should to see why it is not connecting.

dmesg |grep tty

shows usb 3-1.2: FTDI USB Serial ......

so it should be available.

Thanks.
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Post by UncleBob
Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Managed to get the colour_filter tutorial to work. So at least I can use it tracking function and then send simple command to the CM510 pretending to be the Boomerang.

Can't get the Linux730.cpp to connect. Stuck at open("\dev\ttyUSB0"...
it returns -1

but I manage to send signal to the CM510 using minicom and can see the blue light flashing.

Managed to get the colour_filter tutorial to work. So at least I can use it tracking function and then send simple command to the CM510 pretending to be the Boomerang.

Can't get the Linux730.cpp to connect. Stuck at open("\dev\ttyUSB0"...
it returns -1

but I manage to send signal to the CM510 using minicom and can see the blue light flashing.
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by lucyming » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am

Post by lucyming
Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:48 am

lucyming offline

Post by Gort » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Post by Gort
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

I have cloned the DARwIn-OP!!

I will post the video soon.
I have cloned the DARwIn-OP!!

I will post the video soon.
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 am

Post by UncleBob
Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 am

Love to see it too
Love to see it too
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Gort » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Post by Gort
Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 pm

The walk is close still need to work on it.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2013/ ... close.html
The walk is close still need to work on it.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/2013/ ... close.html
Gort offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by UncleBob » Fri May 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Post by UncleBob
Fri May 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Great job. Thank you for the videos. Please post more updates.
Great job. Thank you for the videos. Please post more updates.
UncleBob offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Next
Next
18 postsPage 1 of 21, 2
18 postsPage 1 of 21, 2