What kind of coating is being used on the aluminum frames

Dedicated to the new Dynamic Anthropomorphic Robot with Intelligence - Open Platform By Robotis and related projects
2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1

What kind of coating is being used on the aluminum frames

Post by petercohen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Post by petercohen
Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:25 pm

The aluminum frames on the DARwIn-OP look quite nice. Anybody knows how to make those frames?
The aluminum frames on the DARwIn-OP look quite nice. Anybody knows how to make those frames?
petercohen offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Bullit » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Post by Bullit
Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:06 pm

I believe they are simply grey anodized aluminum. I'm not sure what aluminum ROBOTIS is using. Historically they used 6061 but I find 6061 challenging to bend. 5052 is much tougher just a little harder to cut. Most people don't anodize themselves. Once your parts are cut and bent send them out to be anodized. One of the things ROBOTIS does on the Darwin brackets to keep the bends tight and that is a little different, is that they use 2mm material and at the bends they mill it down to 1.5mm.

All of the Darwin mechanicals are available online Darwin-OP physical information
I believe they are simply grey anodized aluminum. I'm not sure what aluminum ROBOTIS is using. Historically they used 6061 but I find 6061 challenging to bend. 5052 is much tougher just a little harder to cut. Most people don't anodize themselves. Once your parts are cut and bent send them out to be anodized. One of the things ROBOTIS does on the Darwin brackets to keep the bends tight and that is a little different, is that they use 2mm material and at the bends they mill it down to 1.5mm.

All of the Darwin mechanicals are available online Darwin-OP physical information
Bullit offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1