BlueTooth Comms Hack For The Bioloid CM-5

RoboSavvy distributes and manufactures robots. This forum is dedicated to robots and other bits designed or manufactured by RoboSavvy and robot software developed by RoboSavvy.
53 postsPage 3 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Post by srobot » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:00 am

Post by srobot
Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:00 am

BioBlue is bad for debugging; you can even have no robot and it will "connect".

Make sure that you are running the BCP on the Bioloid (Keep clicking "Mode" until you get to "Play" then click "Start") *BEFORE* connecting via BioBlue!

Does the RXD light on the CM-5 blink when you send a command?
BioBlue is bad for debugging; you can even have no robot and it will "connect".

Make sure that you are running the BCP on the Bioloid (Keep clicking "Mode" until you get to "Play" then click "Start") *BEFORE* connecting via BioBlue!

Does the RXD light on the CM-5 blink when you send a command?
Dell Latitude D520, Windows XP, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo. The power that's needed!

RIBO Labs, Springing Robotic Development to a New Level
srobot
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by trey3670 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:14 am

Post by trey3670
Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:14 am

yup blinks once,I will try to connect the way you sugjested in a coupla min utes
yup blinks once,I will try to connect the way you sugjested in a coupla min utes
trey3670
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by trey3670 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:36 am

Post by trey3670
Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:36 am

same prob start up cm-5 go to play push start,click connect within bioblue,then click intilize,the try to send a command the rxd led blinks once,then nothing
same prob start up cm-5 go to play push start,click connect within bioblue,then click intilize,the try to send a command the rxd led blinks once,then nothing
trey3670
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by srobot » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:49 am

Post by srobot
Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:49 am

trey3670 wrote:same prob start up cm-5 go to play push start,click connect within bioblue,then click intilize,the try to send a command the rxd led blinks once,then nothing

Does the Bioloid have the correct BCP *and* MTN files?

Open up the BCP file (by clicking on it) that is within the BioBluePC directory into BCP. Go to Program - Download/Play, and download the BCP file to the Bioloid.

Open up the MTN file (by clicking on it) and "Write to Robot".

Turn on the CM-5, go to Play, push Start, click Connect within BioBlue, then click Initialize. Once the Bioloid detects a connection it should stand.

--Scotty
trey3670 wrote:same prob start up cm-5 go to play push start,click connect within bioblue,then click intilize,the try to send a command the rxd led blinks once,then nothing

Does the Bioloid have the correct BCP *and* MTN files?

Open up the BCP file (by clicking on it) that is within the BioBluePC directory into BCP. Go to Program - Download/Play, and download the BCP file to the Bioloid.

Open up the MTN file (by clicking on it) and "Write to Robot".

Turn on the CM-5, go to Play, push Start, click Connect within BioBlue, then click Initialize. Once the Bioloid detects a connection it should stand.

--Scotty
Dell Latitude D520, Windows XP, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo. The power that's needed!

srobot
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by trey3670 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:50 am

Post by trey3670
Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:50 am

got worried that I screwed up the cm-5 so I went back and downloaded the demo mnt and bcp and it works with pushing the buttons on the cm-5,whew! so I am thinking the bluesmirf is not configured right
got worried that I screwed up the cm-5 so I went back and downloaded the demo mnt and bcp and it works with pushing the buttons on the cm-5,whew! so I am thinking the bluesmirf is not configured right
trey3670
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by srobot » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 am

Post by srobot
Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 am

trey3670 wrote:got worried that I screwed up the cm-5 so I went back and downloaded the demo mnt and bcp and it works with pushing the buttons on the cm-5,whew! so I am thinking the bluesmirf is not configured right

BlueSmirf should be configured fine if the Bioloid is receiving the communications...

Write a program that "Prints To Screen" everything that the CM-5 receives from the BlueSmirf. You can find a sample in the manual, which you can modify to fit this need.
trey3670 wrote:got worried that I screwed up the cm-5 so I went back and downloaded the demo mnt and bcp and it works with pushing the buttons on the cm-5,whew! so I am thinking the bluesmirf is not configured right

BlueSmirf should be configured fine if the Bioloid is receiving the communications...

Write a program that "Prints To Screen" everything that the CM-5 receives from the BlueSmirf. You can find a sample in the manual, which you can modify to fit this need.

srobot
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by srobot » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:03 am

Post by srobot
Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:03 am

I was just thinking that maybe you wrote over the BCP file??

Try this one:

RapidShare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/130039261/1 ... manoid.bpg

RoboSavvy:

http://robosavvy.com/Builders/srobot/18DOF_Humanoid.bpg

Please note that if you are not a Premium member of RapidShare you can only download files from there once per hour.

Edit - Thanks Limor!
I was just thinking that maybe you wrote over the BCP file??

Try this one:

RapidShare:

RoboSavvy:

http://robosavvy.com/Builders/srobot/18DOF_Humanoid.bpg

Please note that if you are not a Premium member of RapidShare you can only download files from there once per hour.

Edit - Thanks Limor!
Last edited by srobot on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

srobot
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by trey3670 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:11 am

Post by trey3670
Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:11 am

d-loading it now,I checked the other one I have and it is set up for remcon
d-loading it now,I checked the other one I have and it is set up for remcon
trey3670
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by trey3670 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:14 am

Post by trey3670
Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:14 am

same result
same result
trey3670
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Pev » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:58 pm

Post by Pev
Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:58 pm

Trey,

Sorry I have not been around and sorry you are having problems. (Oh I wrote BioBlue btw) Work and life has intrupted my robotics.

Everything Scotty has suggested is correct and valid (thanks Scotty). However a couple of things you need to do to check it is set up right (sorry if these have already been suggested).

Firstly Scotty is right BioBlue is poor for debugging as the .Net serial connection that it reports is a connection to the Bluetooth com port on your laptop/pc not to the robot. Basically it doesn't check the comms to the bioloid until you initialise the connection when it should put your Bioloid into a standing pose - I am guessing this isn't happening.

BioBlue to date is just a squirt into the dark process where it sends commands but does not acknowledge them back to BioBlue (I really must re-write it it is getting really old).

OK things to check - the Bioloid can only communicate with the BlueSmirf at 57600 baud. Anything else and it fails - that is a Robotis set speed which I have never been able to get around using bluetooth (apparently you can get around it with ZIG). So first thing - is your Bluesmirf set to 57600 baud. By default they used to be sent out set at 9600 baud so you will need to agjust it. The adjustment can be done using hyperterm and is documented in the BlueSmirf guide on the SparkFun website.

Finally try connecting to your Bluesmirf at 57600 baud from a terminal package like hyperterm and issuing the +++ command as detailed in the sparkfun docs - that puts it into config/setup mode and they list stuff like changing the name etc - if you can do that at 57600 baud you should be able to connect via BioBlue.

Again sorry for the delay and please let me know how you get on - I will do whatever I can to help you get this sorted.

Pev
Trey,

Sorry I have not been around and sorry you are having problems. (Oh I wrote BioBlue btw) Work and life has intrupted my robotics.

Everything Scotty has suggested is correct and valid (thanks Scotty). However a couple of things you need to do to check it is set up right (sorry if these have already been suggested).

Firstly Scotty is right BioBlue is poor for debugging as the .Net serial connection that it reports is a connection to the Bluetooth com port on your laptop/pc not to the robot. Basically it doesn't check the comms to the bioloid until you initialise the connection when it should put your Bioloid into a standing pose - I am guessing this isn't happening.

BioBlue to date is just a squirt into the dark process where it sends commands but does not acknowledge them back to BioBlue (I really must re-write it it is getting really old).

OK things to check - the Bioloid can only communicate with the BlueSmirf at 57600 baud. Anything else and it fails - that is a Robotis set speed which I have never been able to get around using bluetooth (apparently you can get around it with ZIG). So first thing - is your Bluesmirf set to 57600 baud. By default they used to be sent out set at 9600 baud so you will need to agjust it. The adjustment can be done using hyperterm and is documented in the BlueSmirf guide on the SparkFun website.

Finally try connecting to your Bluesmirf at 57600 baud from a terminal package like hyperterm and issuing the +++ command as detailed in the sparkfun docs - that puts it into config/setup mode and they list stuff like changing the name etc - if you can do that at 57600 baud you should be able to connect via BioBlue.

Again sorry for the delay and please let me know how you get on - I will do whatever I can to help you get this sorted.

Pev
Carl
-------------------------
www.alt-view.co.uk
Pev
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Pev » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Post by Pev
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Trey,

Just went to Sparkfun and noticed that they don't seem to have the info I mentioned easily to hand - I have the PDF for the V1 Bluesmirf and will p, you with a link to it. Page 5 has the config info I was talking about.

Pev
Trey,

Just went to Sparkfun and noticed that they don't seem to have the info I mentioned easily to hand - I have the PDF for the V1 Bluesmirf and will p, you with a link to it. Page 5 has the config info I was talking about.

Pev
Carl
www.alt-view.co.uk
Pev
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Post by limor
Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 pm

srobot wrote:I was just thinking that maybe you wrote over the BCP file??

Try this one:

Limor - I can not upload *.bpg files to the RoboSavvy server, if you can fix that I will upload this file there.

upload script modified to allow upload of bpg files
:oops:

Try this one:

Limor - I can not upload *.bpg files to the RoboSavvy server, if you can fix that I will upload this file there.

limor
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Post by limor
Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Pev wrote:Finally try connecting to your Bluesmirf at 57600 baud from a terminal package like hyperterm and issuing the +++ command as detailed in the sparkfun docs - that puts it into config/setup mode and they list stuff like changing the name etc - if you can do that at 57600 baud you should be able to connect via BioBlue.

There is reference at the beginning of this thread as to how to configure the bluesmirf. However, SparkFun have upgraded the bluetooth chip from mitsumi to 2 other ones. See the command line documentation in the following two links: bluesmirf-sliver and the bluesmirf-gold.
Pev wrote:Finally try connecting to your Bluesmirf at 57600 baud from a terminal package like hyperterm and issuing the +++ command as detailed in the sparkfun docs - that puts it into config/setup mode and they list stuff like changing the name etc - if you can do that at 57600 baud you should be able to connect via BioBlue.

There is reference at the beginning of this thread as to how to configure the bluesmirf. However, SparkFun have upgraded the bluetooth chip from mitsumi to 2 other ones. See the command line documentation in the following two links: bluesmirf-sliver and the bluesmirf-gold.
limor
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Pev » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:12 pm

Post by Pev
Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:12 pm

limor wrote:

Thanks Limor,

I had a feeling I was pretty out of date
limor wrote:

Thanks Limor,

I had a feeling I was pretty out of date
Carl
www.alt-view.co.uk
Pev
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by srobot » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:46 am

Post by srobot
Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:46 am

limor wrote:

Try this one:

Thanks Limor!

Can you also add *.mtn files to the upload script?
limor wrote:

Try this one:

Thanks Limor!

Can you also add *.mtn files to the upload script?

srobot
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

PreviousNext