RoboSavvy Designing and Fabricating a 1m tall Humanoid

RoboSavvy distributes and manufactures robots. This forum is dedicated to robots and other bits designed or manufactured by RoboSavvy and robot software developed by RoboSavvy.
52 postsPage 4 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Post by TiagoR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am

Post by TiagoR
Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am

Hello all

Today I bring you a demo of our robot arm working with ROS.

The demo consists in having sliders connected to a virtual reality and to the real robot, so when we move the slider both real and virtual robot move simultaneously.

phpBB [media]

Best regards
TiagoR
Hello all

Today I bring you a demo of our robot arm working with ROS.

The demo consists in having sliders connected to a virtual reality and to the real robot, so when we move the slider both real and virtual robot move simultaneously.

phpBB [media]

Best regards
TiagoR
TiagoR
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by MarcoP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Post by MarcoP
Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi all

So construction is getting under way with more serious parts.

Now that we are getting comfortable with the cnc we moved on to working with 5mm thick aluminium. As usual using compressed air with mist cooling and lubrication.
Drilling

Chamfering edges

Final result. It's a washer for a Robotis MX64. The thickness is because this washer is going to handle all the torque generated in the leg to torso junction in the hip. It's the most critical part in the robot, as such we over designed to make sure it's going to last.

Rgds
Hi all

So construction is getting under way with more serious parts.

Now that we are getting comfortable with the cnc we moved on to working with 5mm thick aluminium. As usual using compressed air with mist cooling and lubrication.
Drilling

Chamfering edges

Final result. It's a washer for a Robotis MX64. The thickness is because this washer is going to handle all the torque generated in the leg to torso junction in the hip. It's the most critical part in the robot, as such we over designed to make sure it's going to last.

Rgds
MarcoP
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PedroR » Thu May 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu May 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Our 1m tall Humanoid has made its first public appearance at ICRA 2013 (currently happening in Germany).

Here's a picture of our Robot:

20130509_111125 by RoboSavvy, on Flickr

You can find out more about our presence at ICRA here http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37751#37751

Regards
Pedro.
Our 1m tall Humanoid has made its first public appearance at ICRA 2013 (currently happening in Germany).

Here's a picture of our Robot:

20130509_111125 by RoboSavvy, on Flickr

You can find out more about our presence at ICRA here http://robosavvy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37751#37751

Regards
Pedro.
PedroR
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Post by limor
Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:44 pm

here's how he is supposed to look with his shell (the big feet need some rework ) :)

here's how he is supposed to look with his shell (the big feet need some rework ) :)

limor
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by MarcoP » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 am

Post by MarcoP
Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 am

Hi everyone.
Posting has been very slow due to high work load, but here is a treat:

[media]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5_DUQ78Ao[/media]

The finger segments were redesigned for added strength, so we created this test jig to do a proper stress test on them. We use a gear motor from Wild Thumper to have enough force to close all the fingers at once.

This creates 2 cycles per second, so over 170K cycles in one day of continuous operation.
No problems so far. I expect the first thing to go will be the wires from abrasion, but those are easy enough to swap out.

Rgds
Hi everyone.
Posting has been very slow due to high work load, but here is a treat:

[media]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5_DUQ78Ao[/media]

The finger segments were redesigned for added strength, so we created this test jig to do a proper stress test on them. We use a gear motor from Wild Thumper to have enough force to close all the fingers at once.

This creates 2 cycles per second, so over 170K cycles in one day of continuous operation.
No problems so far. I expect the first thing to go will be the wires from abrasion, but those are easy enough to swap out.

Rgds
MarcoP
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulL » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:25 am

Post by PaulL
Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:25 am

LOL! That's a PRODUCT!!! Robosavvy Back Scratcher. :)

Have you considered using nylon or other type of plastic (I'm using Teflon, but it does stretch, probably not best for heavy use) for the tendons instead of wire?
LOL! That's a PRODUCT!!! Robosavvy Back Scratcher. :)

Have you considered using nylon or other type of plastic (I'm using Teflon, but it does stretch, probably not best for heavy use) for the tendons instead of wire?
PaulL
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by MarcoP » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 am

Post by MarcoP
Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 am

Hi

Will secure it to the end of a broom stick and try it out next time I have a itch on my back :P

I did try old-school fishing line (nylon) but I found it to be very stretchy, stiff to bend and not very resistant to abrasion. Also next to impossible to tie small knots.

These new synthetic braided fishing lines seem much better. Stronger for the same diameter and better in all the mentioned aspects.

Abrasion resistance is quite good. Even going over sharp edges in PLA (which is quite hard) I can barely see any signs of use, after almost 100k cycles.

Definitely the way to go for us.

Also of note, after already decided on this I saw that Shadow Hand uses the same kind of wires, albeit thicker.

Rgds
Hi

Will secure it to the end of a broom stick and try it out next time I have a itch on my back :P

I did try old-school fishing line (nylon) but I found it to be very stretchy, stiff to bend and not very resistant to abrasion. Also next to impossible to tie small knots.

These new synthetic braided fishing lines seem much better. Stronger for the same diameter and better in all the mentioned aspects.

Abrasion resistance is quite good. Even going over sharp edges in PLA (which is quite hard) I can barely see any signs of use, after almost 100k cycles.

Definitely the way to go for us.

Also of note, after already decided on this I saw that Shadow Hand uses the same kind of wires, albeit thicker.

Rgds
MarcoP
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Previous