NAO Has been released to the general public at $7990!

News and announcements related to Humanoids/walkers, robo-one/other conferences, intelligent servos, advanced robot controllers/sensors, and interesting new humanoid related developments.
7 postsPage 1 of 1
7 postsPage 1 of 1

NAO Has been released to the general public at $7990!

Post by patkangu » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Post by patkangu
Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi guys! Exciting news! NAO is being released to the general public at half the price!

http://content.robotslab.com/nao-skydiving#gsc.tab=0
Hi guys! Exciting news! NAO is being released to the general public at half the price!

http://content.robotslab.com/nao-skydiving#gsc.tab=0
patkangu offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Re: NAO Has been released to the general public at $7990!

Post by PaulL » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Post by PaulL
Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:18 pm

What I wonder is, if they can make a profit at $8k, then why has Nao been quoted at 2 to 3 times that in the past, and better yet, why have they given up that additional profit margin?

But, the price drop says something: small bipeds surely don't seem as popular as they once were.
What I wonder is, if they can make a profit at $8k, then why has Nao been quoted at 2 to 3 times that in the past, and better yet, why have they given up that additional profit margin?

But, the price drop says something: small bipeds surely don't seem as popular as they once were.
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by xevel » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 pm

Post by xevel
Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:23 pm

Previous version was manufactured in France, this one is made in China.
Also, there's been some rationalization on some details (like the capactive sensors in the hands and head), which should not have much of an impact on casual users but might result in slighly less accurate motion and slightly noisier output of said sensors.
Previous version was manufactured in France, this one is made in China.
Also, there's been some rationalization on some details (like the capactive sensors in the hands and head), which should not have much of an impact on casual users but might result in slighly less accurate motion and slightly noisier output of said sensors.
xevel offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by patkangu » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14 am

Post by patkangu
Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:14 am

So if I was to buy the $16,000 version or enter the developer program, would I get the NAO with the cheap sensors or the original one?
So if I was to buy the $16,000 version or enter the developer program, would I get the NAO with the cheap sensors or the original one?
patkangu offline
Robot Builder
Robot Builder

Post by PaulL » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 am

Post by PaulL
Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 am

xevel, Well, that does clear things up. Hmm. I have to ask, where did you find this info?
xevel, Well, that does clear things up. Hmm. I have to ask, where did you find this info?
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by xevel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:41 pm

Post by xevel
Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:41 pm

I simply asked people working with Aldebaran 6 days ago at Innorobo, in Lyon, France. The guy who told me even added that for his (advanced) use, he would prefer to keep his old one because of the slightly noisier sensors and slightly worse accuracy.
Aldebaran had two giant booth there, one for Nao and one for their new teen-sized robot Romeo, 3 of which were on display.
I should have added that since this is not part of their official communication, and I only got this info oraly, there are chances that it's not perfectly accurate (that I haven't been told the full story), or that I messed some details up (I did not take notes at the time). Still I'm pretty confident in these informations.

@patkangu : no idea :/
I simply asked people working with Aldebaran 6 days ago at Innorobo, in Lyon, France. The guy who told me even added that for his (advanced) use, he would prefer to keep his old one because of the slightly noisier sensors and slightly worse accuracy.
Aldebaran had two giant booth there, one for Nao and one for their new teen-sized robot Romeo, 3 of which were on display.
I should have added that since this is not part of their official communication, and I only got this info oraly, there are chances that it's not perfectly accurate (that I haven't been told the full story), or that I messed some details up (I did not take notes at the time). Still I'm pretty confident in these informations.

@patkangu : no idea :/
xevel offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by siempre.aprendiendo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Post by siempre.aprendiendo
Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Through the Developer Program ( an easy exam for any seasoned developer) until a few months ago you could get one for around 2500€, a few weeks ago I checked it again and was around 3200€.
Through the Developer Program ( an easy exam for any seasoned developer) until a few months ago you could get one for around 2500€, a few weeks ago I checked it again and was around 3200€.
siempre.aprendiendo offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

7 postsPage 1 of 1
7 postsPage 1 of 1