Cap Gemini report about humanoids in retail

News and announcements related to Humanoids/walkers, robo-one/other conferences, intelligent servos, advanced robot controllers/sensors, and interesting new humanoid related developments.
3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1

Cap Gemini report about humanoids in retail

Post by limor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:28 am

Post by limor
Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:28 am

Seeing a report by Cap Gemini about humanoid robots use case in retail is like seeing an advertisement for a self-driving car SLA based subscription service. I just didn't think we were there quite yet. I'm guessing Softbank can afford to have analysts cover the niche sector if they can afford to buy ARM.

https://www.ald.softbankrobotics.com/si ... dustry.pdf

aldebaran-robots.png
aldebaran-robots.png (230.02 KiB) Viewed 11759 times
Seeing a report by Cap Gemini about humanoid robots use case in retail is like seeing an advertisement for a self-driving car SLA based subscription service. I just didn't think we were there quite yet. I'm guessing Softbank can afford to have analysts cover the niche sector if they can afford to buy ARM.

https://www.ald.softbankrobotics.com/si ... dustry.pdf

aldebaran-robots.png
aldebaran-robots.png (230.02 KiB) Viewed 11759 times
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Cap Gemini report about humanoids in retail

Post by PaulL » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:32 am

Post by PaulL
Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:32 am

I think their assumptions are naive!! What they're suggesting would be much like a mobile kiosk. If a computer-based stationary kiosk was possible (and clearly, it is), why hasn't this been done already, as a first step? Certainly, it would be cheaper!! Perhaps they'd be better suited by tapping an existing resource for infrastructure - like one's cell phone. It would be handy to have an app, tell it what you want, have it give you a graphic overlay through one's cam of directions on where to go in the store to get there, which shelf, etc, product info, store pricing, etc. Consumer owns the hardware!! Sadly, I think a robot greeter / guide would be more gimmick than real value-add. Wait - in the trend of the trendy, why not have self-driving CARTS in the store that would route customers to their destinations?? They already have scooters in stores, and it is a controlled and closed system, one could do something as simple as a line-following mechanism on the floor... On a more serious note, I think having a LITERAL Spam Bot would be unbelievably annoying!! "You look tired - perhaps you would use a nice hot cup of Super Duper Coffee...", "I see you drove up in an XYZ - have you considered buying a newer car, like an ABC? They have a deal down the street... blah blah blah", or "I know you're here to buy X, but take a look at Y that I've brought you to! Isn't this a nice Y? And check out that PRICE!!", etc, etc.

I think robots have their place, but I don't think customer-facing retail is one of them!! :) As much as I have an affinity towards robots, I certainly don't want to talk to one that is feeding me spam with a corporate agenda. I think there's value in talking to a person, a creature we know well enough to determine (mostly) whether they're being deceptive or not. Another thought - how many "hate crimes" towards robots would be realized through an ad bot?? Spam ticks me off - I can't imagine how I'd feel if the delivery mechanism for that spam presented itself in physical form!! Such bots should be well wrapped to take a pounding, I'd think!!
I think their assumptions are naive!! What they're suggesting would be much like a mobile kiosk. If a computer-based stationary kiosk was possible (and clearly, it is), why hasn't this been done already, as a first step? Certainly, it would be cheaper!! Perhaps they'd be better suited by tapping an existing resource for infrastructure - like one's cell phone. It would be handy to have an app, tell it what you want, have it give you a graphic overlay through one's cam of directions on where to go in the store to get there, which shelf, etc, product info, store pricing, etc. Consumer owns the hardware!! Sadly, I think a robot greeter / guide would be more gimmick than real value-add. Wait - in the trend of the trendy, why not have self-driving CARTS in the store that would route customers to their destinations?? They already have scooters in stores, and it is a controlled and closed system, one could do something as simple as a line-following mechanism on the floor... On a more serious note, I think having a LITERAL Spam Bot would be unbelievably annoying!! "You look tired - perhaps you would use a nice hot cup of Super Duper Coffee...", "I see you drove up in an XYZ - have you considered buying a newer car, like an ABC? They have a deal down the street... blah blah blah", or "I know you're here to buy X, but take a look at Y that I've brought you to! Isn't this a nice Y? And check out that PRICE!!", etc, etc.

I think robots have their place, but I don't think customer-facing retail is one of them!! :) As much as I have an affinity towards robots, I certainly don't want to talk to one that is feeding me spam with a corporate agenda. I think there's value in talking to a person, a creature we know well enough to determine (mostly) whether they're being deceptive or not. Another thought - how many "hate crimes" towards robots would be realized through an ad bot?? Spam ticks me off - I can't imagine how I'd feel if the delivery mechanism for that spam presented itself in physical form!! Such bots should be well wrapped to take a pounding, I'd think!!
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Cap Gemini report about humanoids in retail

Post by robojohn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Post by robojohn
Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:50 pm

I thinks it's too early for this. I am a huge fan of robots but honestly, I am a little bit scared of it at the same time. I've watched Matrix too many times.
I thinks it's too early for this. I am a huge fan of robots but honestly, I am a little bit scared of it at the same time. I've watched Matrix too many times.
Vill du istället spela på en schyst sida kan du spana in hemsida där du hittar en mängd
bonusar som du kan ha roligt med.
robojohn offline

3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1