RoboSavvy Humanoid Design Challenge

News and announcements related to Humanoids/walkers, robo-one/other conferences, intelligent servos, advanced robot controllers/sensors, and interesting new humanoid related developments.
2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1

RoboSavvy Humanoid Design Challenge

Post by limor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 am

Post by limor
Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 am

Robosavvy is looking for your help in gathering fresh ideas for the design of a new humanoid robot designated for entertainment and education. Our objective is to launch a new open-source humanoid robot that will look great and will be agile and smart at a reasonable cost.

http://grabcad.com/challenges/robosavvy ... -challenge
Robosavvy is looking for your help in gathering fresh ideas for the design of a new humanoid robot designated for entertainment and education. Our objective is to launch a new open-source humanoid robot that will look great and will be agile and smart at a reasonable cost.

http://grabcad.com/challenges/robosavvy ... -challenge
limor offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulL » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:20 am

Post by PaulL
Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:20 am

One thing I've always found frustrating about available bipeds is that few offer any kind of uniformity in the area where their controllers go. It'd be nice to see a void where a bigger board could go, ex PicoITX form factor or similar. Custom controllers just aren't going to promote better control software!! I wouldn't mind seeing a bot with a Pi in it to get started, but I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't fit in something different / faster! :)

Generally, I think the torso stack should amount to (from the top, down):

Head - with camera - pan and tilt capable.
Shoulder servo - Neck servo(s) - Shoulder servo.
Brains - a main board, plus space for bot-specific electronics.
Battery
Hip Servos

I think it's a bit off to put brains on the back - few "big" boards do well there.

For my project, my plan is to put the bot-specific electronics behind the shoulder servos above a PicoITX board. Some of the electronics will go in some space on the front of the torso.
One thing I've always found frustrating about available bipeds is that few offer any kind of uniformity in the area where their controllers go. It'd be nice to see a void where a bigger board could go, ex PicoITX form factor or similar. Custom controllers just aren't going to promote better control software!! I wouldn't mind seeing a bot with a Pi in it to get started, but I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't fit in something different / faster! :)

Generally, I think the torso stack should amount to (from the top, down):

Head - with camera - pan and tilt capable.
Shoulder servo - Neck servo(s) - Shoulder servo.
Brains - a main board, plus space for bot-specific electronics.
Battery
Hip Servos

I think it's a bit off to put brains on the back - few "big" boards do well there.

For my project, my plan is to put the bot-specific electronics behind the shoulder servos above a PicoITX board. Some of the electronics will go in some space on the front of the torso.
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1