Forum Upgrade - Sept 18th from 10am

News and announcements related to Humanoids/walkers, robo-one/other conferences, intelligent servos, advanced robot controllers/sensors, and interesting new humanoid related developments.
8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1

Forum Upgrade - Sept 18th from 10am

Post by PedroR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Post by PedroR
Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi all

Following our recent website revamp, we're (finally hurray!) upgrading our forum to the latest version of phpBB.

The migration will take place this Wednesday, the 18th from 10am.
We don't have an estimate time for completion but it is expected to take about half a day.

During the migration the forum will be in read only mode. During this period you won't be able to make new posts but you will be able to access all existing posts.

After the migration, the forum will be back up as usual. We will post a notice on the news section once this is complete.

After the migration a few things will change:
- On your first login you will be asked to change your password. This is part of the new security system in phpBB 3

- The File Manager will continue to be available

- A new forum moderation system is in place. The first posts of new users now need to be approved by the moderators before going public.

- Login and posting to the old Joomla based website will be disabled (the Joomla website is a separate system from the forum).
All the content will continue to be available in read only mode.
We know some of you have content there, so if you would like to retract or change any of the information you can do so at anytime (now or anytime in the future) by emailing webmaster@robosavvy.com

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your patience during this process!

As usual if you find any issue please let us know by emailing webmaster@robosavvy.com

Best Regards
Pedro
Hi all

Following our recent website revamp, we're (finally hurray!) upgrading our forum to the latest version of phpBB.

The migration will take place this Wednesday, the 18th from 10am.
We don't have an estimate time for completion but it is expected to take about half a day.

During the migration the forum will be in read only mode. During this period you won't be able to make new posts but you will be able to access all existing posts.

After the migration, the forum will be back up as usual. We will post a notice on the news section once this is complete.

After the migration a few things will change:
- On your first login you will be asked to change your password. This is part of the new security system in phpBB 3

- The File Manager will continue to be available

- A new forum moderation system is in place. The first posts of new users now need to be approved by the moderators before going public.

- Login and posting to the old Joomla based website will be disabled (the Joomla website is a separate system from the forum).
All the content will continue to be available in read only mode.
We know some of you have content there, so if you would like to retract or change any of the information you can do so at anytime (now or anytime in the future) by emailing webmaster@robosavvy.com

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for your patience during this process!

As usual if you find any issue please let us know by emailing webmaster@robosavvy.com

Best Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Forum Upgrade - Sept 18th from 10am

Post by PedroR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 pm

Post by PedroR
Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi all

We're happy to announce our forum is now back up and running.

We're on phpBB 3 with the latest bells and whistles.
Your user menu (including access to the file manager) can be found on the top right by clicking your username.

The infamous bug where changes to your user profile didn't stick, should have finally been resolved. HURRAY for this one!

If you find anything out of order or not working please let our webmaster know on webmaster@robosavvy.com

Regards
Pedro
Hi all

We're happy to announce our forum is now back up and running.

We're on phpBB 3 with the latest bells and whistles.
Your user menu (including access to the file manager) can be found on the top right by clicking your username.

The infamous bug where changes to your user profile didn't stick, should have finally been resolved. HURRAY for this one!

If you find anything out of order or not working please let our webmaster know on webmaster@robosavvy.com

Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulL » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 am

Post by PaulL
Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 am

Well, it's quite a bit different!!

Obviously ;), I did manage to get logged in, but not with PaulL (as I had before the upgrade), only with RN1AsOf091407.

FileManager isn't showing any of my files, though. I changed my "display name" (or however it was labeled) to PaulL on the old version, which also created a new \Builders sub-folder (so I actually have two folders - one for RN1AsOf091407, and one for PaulL). I don't see any content from either folder now, and I don't see a way to change my display name or user name on this version...

Ah, just checked - it seems something changed during the upgrade - the user folder referred to by FileManager is all lower case - that's why I can't access my files with FileManager after the upgrade. Can this be corrected? What about the PaulL user folder, can this folder and the RN1AsOf091407 folder be consolidated into one folder? I'd prefer the PaulL user name if changing it is possible on the Admin side of things.

Btw, the forum post entry box is a little buggy, behaving a bit strange when text is large enough to require scroll bar - ex, text jumps up and down when typing, arrowing up or down through the text at the bottom makes odd things happen...

Thanks!
Paul
Well, it's quite a bit different!!

Obviously ;), I did manage to get logged in, but not with PaulL (as I had before the upgrade), only with RN1AsOf091407.

FileManager isn't showing any of my files, though. I changed my "display name" (or however it was labeled) to PaulL on the old version, which also created a new \Builders sub-folder (so I actually have two folders - one for RN1AsOf091407, and one for PaulL). I don't see any content from either folder now, and I don't see a way to change my display name or user name on this version...

Ah, just checked - it seems something changed during the upgrade - the user folder referred to by FileManager is all lower case - that's why I can't access my files with FileManager after the upgrade. Can this be corrected? What about the PaulL user folder, can this folder and the RN1AsOf091407 folder be consolidated into one folder? I'd prefer the PaulL user name if changing it is possible on the Admin side of things.

Btw, the forum post entry box is a little buggy, behaving a bit strange when text is large enough to require scroll bar - ex, text jumps up and down when typing, arrowing up or down through the text at the bottom makes odd things happen...

Thanks!
Paul
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PedroR » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:49 am

Post by PedroR
Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:49 am

Hi

Thank you very much for the feedback.

We can certainly consolidate your files under one single folder.

The issue with the Builders folder being lowercase sounds like a regression bug (we've had it before) and we'll definitely look into it.

I also appreciate your reports about the issues on the compose window. We've tried reproducing the behaviour but couldn't do it.
Would you be able to let us know what browser/OS you are using and also some way to reproduce the issue?
The template is supposed to be responsive (so that you can post and view content from your mobile dvices, something that was severely lacking in the previous version) and this is probably the root cause.

I will have our webmaster - Vitor - have a look at this.

Best Regards
Pedro
Hi

Thank you very much for the feedback.

We can certainly consolidate your files under one single folder.

The issue with the Builders folder being lowercase sounds like a regression bug (we've had it before) and we'll definitely look into it.

I also appreciate your reports about the issues on the compose window. We've tried reproducing the behaviour but couldn't do it.
Would you be able to let us know what browser/OS you are using and also some way to reproduce the issue?
The template is supposed to be responsive (so that you can post and view content from your mobile dvices, something that was severely lacking in the previous version) and this is probably the root cause.

I will have our webmaster - Vitor - have a look at this.

Best Regards
Pedro
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulL » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:32 am

Post by PaulL
Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:32 am

I'm on a WinXP machine running IE8 (yes, I realize newer versions are available - I try not to upgrade / update more than necessary!). Text size in the browser is "Medium".

To reproduce, hit return over and over until the vertical scroll bar appears. At some point, the box will act as if a space was typed when return is pressed. From there, anything typed at the end of the post is below the box and can't be seen, but makes the box jump and shows text below only in flashing briefly. Looks like some funky java problem to me.

I have viewed the site on my Nexus 7 tablet, and noticed the mobile-specific rendering of the site - I didn't try to log in or post on the tablet, though.

I have Firefox as well, and I can try that, but I bet it'll probably work properly (the text box for post content).

It's not a substantial problem - if I have a large post, I tend to copy it to Notepad anyway, since for whatever reason, I've had a number of posts that don't make it to the server. Sometimes I just compose in notepad and paste to post. Sometimes, I'll even paste it to Word to spell check.

As I try to type this in the jumping box, it seems I can even hit the shift key after I scroll down to see what I've typed, and shift will make the box scroll back up so that I can't see the text at the bottom. I can take a video if you want to see what it looks like.
I'm on a WinXP machine running IE8 (yes, I realize newer versions are available - I try not to upgrade / update more than necessary!). Text size in the browser is "Medium".

To reproduce, hit return over and over until the vertical scroll bar appears. At some point, the box will act as if a space was typed when return is pressed. From there, anything typed at the end of the post is below the box and can't be seen, but makes the box jump and shows text below only in flashing briefly. Looks like some funky java problem to me.

I have viewed the site on my Nexus 7 tablet, and noticed the mobile-specific rendering of the site - I didn't try to log in or post on the tablet, though.

I have Firefox as well, and I can try that, but I bet it'll probably work properly (the text box for post content).

It's not a substantial problem - if I have a large post, I tend to copy it to Notepad anyway, since for whatever reason, I've had a number of posts that don't make it to the server. Sometimes I just compose in notepad and paste to post. Sometimes, I'll even paste it to Word to spell check.

As I try to type this in the jumping box, it seems I can even hit the shift key after I scroll down to see what I've typed, and shift will make the box scroll back up so that I can't see the text at the bottom. I can take a video if you want to see what it looks like.
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulL » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 am

Post by PaulL
Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 am

Confirmed - works fine on FireFox.
Confirmed - works fine on FireFox.
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PedroR » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Post by PedroR
Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Thank you for all your detailed information.

We'll definitely look into this and myself (or Vitor) will post back as soon as it's fixed.

Best Regards
Pedro.
Thank you for all your detailed information.

We'll definitely look into this and myself (or Vitor) will post back as soon as it's fixed.

Best Regards
Pedro.
PedroR offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by PaulL » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:13 am

Post by PaulL
Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks, Pedro! A bit more info: I had some trouble re-creating this problem just now, and I figured a more direct way to reproduce.

Paste something like this over and over in a new window - at some point, it will start messing up: "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz " (without quotes, with space at the end).

If I click on this text and arrow down after the problem starts, the text at the bottom of the post will be displayed (as if scrolling all the way down), then as soon as I lift up off the down arrow key, it pops back upwards in the post.
Thanks, Pedro! A bit more info: I had some trouble re-creating this problem just now, and I figured a more direct way to reproduce.

Paste something like this over and over in a new window - at some point, it will start messing up: "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz " (without quotes, with space at the end).

If I click on this text and arrow down after the problem starts, the text at the bottom of the post will be displayed (as if scrolling all the way down), then as soon as I lift up off the down arrow key, it pops back upwards in the post.
PaulL offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

8 postsPage 1 of 1
8 postsPage 1 of 1