My Advanced Realistic Humanoid Robot Project

Discussions regarding building a walking robot at home. Most of the robots participating at Robo-One competitions are custom fabricated.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

My Advanced Realistic Humanoid Robot Project

Post by artbyrobot » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:17 pm

Post by artbyrobot
Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:17 pm

The Project Goal

I'm planning to build an advanced humanoid robot. Think Ex Machina, The Terminator, Data from Star Trek, etc... So just like Data on Star Trek's creator created Data to look just like him, I'm making mine a mirror image of myself! I want the robot to ultimately move like a human, be able to walk, run, jump, do chores, dance, do sports, have conversations realistically, paint, do sculpture, etc. Hope you enjoy following me on my EPIC journey :)

About Me

I'm Larry. I have a background in computer programming as well as a lot of trades (electrical, mechanical, construction, etc). I also am an artist - sculptor, painter. I consider myself an inventor and an innovator. My current inspiration is Elon Musk.

Robot Features Planned

I plan to start out sculpting the left arm and hand, rigging them up with servo motors, connecting that up to a pc, and getting it to grasp. From there I will develop the torso, the scull, the legs, the feet, and the other arm. The bot will have silicone skin and look realistic and move realistic. It will have artificial lungs for cooling. It will have spandex ligaments and pulley systems to imitate muscles. It will have sensors to feel if it bumps into things and it will have webcam eyes. It will have a speaker in the mouth to speak with and the mouth will move to lipsync what it is saying. It will have facial expressions. It will have advanced artificial intelligence. It will run on battery and/or power cable depending on the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRTtyT2cWaI

My project website: http://www.artbyrobot.com

Be sure to checkout artbyrobot.com for more, also my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/artbyrobot1
The Project Goal

I'm planning to build an advanced humanoid robot. Think Ex Machina, The Terminator, Data from Star Trek, etc... So just like Data on Star Trek's creator created Data to look just like him, I'm making mine a mirror image of myself! I want the robot to ultimately move like a human, be able to walk, run, jump, do chores, dance, do sports, have conversations realistically, paint, do sculpture, etc. Hope you enjoy following me on my EPIC journey :)

About Me

I'm Larry. I have a background in computer programming as well as a lot of trades (electrical, mechanical, construction, etc). I also am an artist - sculptor, painter. I consider myself an inventor and an innovator. My current inspiration is Elon Musk.

Robot Features Planned

I plan to start out sculpting the left arm and hand, rigging them up with servo motors, connecting that up to a pc, and getting it to grasp. From there I will develop the torso, the scull, the legs, the feet, and the other arm. The bot will have silicone skin and look realistic and move realistic. It will have artificial lungs for cooling. It will have spandex ligaments and pulley systems to imitate muscles. It will have sensors to feel if it bumps into things and it will have webcam eyes. It will have a speaker in the mouth to speak with and the mouth will move to lipsync what it is saying. It will have facial expressions. It will have advanced artificial intelligence. It will run on battery and/or power cable depending on the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRTtyT2cWaI

My project website: http://www.artbyrobot.com

Be sure to checkout artbyrobot.com for more, also my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/artbyrobot1
Last edited by artbyrobot on Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
artbyrobot offline

Re: My Advanced Realistic Humanoid Robot Project

Post by TammiLuns » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:04 am

Post by TammiLuns
Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:04 am

Oh,cool. This is a very good project. :D This palm looks very very awful. :cry:
Oh,cool. This is a very good project. :D This palm looks very very awful. :cry:
TammiLuns offline

Post by artbyrobot » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:20 am

Post by artbyrobot
Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:20 am

https://youtube.com/v/M3uJViGE6yw

Here's my latest addition to the robot. A mesh capture of my head and arm to aid in sculpting its skull and defining the mass of the build volume.
https://youtube.com/v/M3uJViGE6yw

Here's my latest addition to the robot. A mesh capture of my head and arm to aid in sculpting its skull and defining the mass of the build volume.
Last edited by artbyrobot on Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
artbyrobot offline

Post by athenatyner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:15 am

Post by athenatyner
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:15 am

Oh, cool. This is a good project. :D This palm looks very very awful. :twisted: . In the dark at night, It can create a mysterious situation.
Oh, cool. This is a good project. :D This palm looks very very awful. :twisted: . In the dark at night, It can create a mysterious situation.
Don't PM me
blogger and writer
best articles:
true wireless earbuds 2018
best waterproof fitness tracker
athenatyner offline

Post by artbyrobot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:00 am

Post by artbyrobot
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:00 am

hand fabrication from clay to epoxy composite

The ulna bone ready to go

The terminator is coming!

The radius bone ready to go!

Flexible artificial tendons of the thumb!

Robot hand with artificial ligaments (spandex) ready for electronics!
hand fabrication from clay to epoxy composite

The ulna bone ready to go

The terminator is coming!

The radius bone ready to go!

Flexible artificial tendons of the thumb!

Robot hand with artificial ligaments (spandex) ready for electronics!
artbyrobot offline

Post by artbyrobot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:09 am

Post by artbyrobot
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:09 am

Ribcage sculpted in clay

Brushed DC Motor Custom Servo Installation Progress Detail

Custom 2s 18650 battery temporary setup with 3D printed battery holders and charger boards for each battery wired in and working

Size 140 brushed dc motor with pulley output shaft and l9110s hbridge controller wired up on sop-8 breakout board with wires tag labeled. Motor wrapped in football jersey coated in non skid rug backing and sewn onto forearm that is wrapped in 1000 denier cloth adhered with adhesive transfer tape. Football jersey offers breathability for heat dissipation. Output pulleys 3D printed in PLA and super glued onto output shaft. Muscle string is 100% nylon upholstery thread glued onto output shaft with super glue.

Rear view of battery holder setup

0.3mm id Teflon tubing attached to index finger to act as guide tube for index finger muscle string. Serves same principle function as rubber hose that guides bike brake wire.

Ceiling mounted rail setup so I can descend robot arm onto work area and adjust height and position so that both of my hands are free to do the intricate work on it.

Compact pulley system design to “downgear” brushed dc motor pulley muscle string output to lower speed and increase torque to desired levels.

3D blueprint for robot full torso

Robot blueprint forearm detail with muscles labeled

Robot blueprint leg detail motor and muscle string placements and spacing

Robot shoulder blueprint detail with muscles labeled

Robot neck design which has tubing for breathing and drinking icewater for cooling systems

Robot blueprint midsection detail with batteries in black, a semi transparent main pc behind them, and the artificial lungs and heart behind that for cooling system
Ribcage sculpted in clay

Brushed DC Motor Custom Servo Installation Progress Detail

Custom 2s 18650 battery temporary setup with 3D printed battery holders and charger boards for each battery wired in and working

Size 140 brushed dc motor with pulley output shaft and l9110s hbridge controller wired up on sop-8 breakout board with wires tag labeled. Motor wrapped in football jersey coated in non skid rug backing and sewn onto forearm that is wrapped in 1000 denier cloth adhered with adhesive transfer tape. Football jersey offers breathability for heat dissipation. Output pulleys 3D printed in PLA and super glued onto output shaft. Muscle string is 100% nylon upholstery thread glued onto output shaft with super glue.

Rear view of battery holder setup

0.3mm id Teflon tubing attached to index finger to act as guide tube for index finger muscle string. Serves same principle function as rubber hose that guides bike brake wire.

Ceiling mounted rail setup so I can descend robot arm onto work area and adjust height and position so that both of my hands are free to do the intricate work on it.

Compact pulley system design to “downgear” brushed dc motor pulley muscle string output to lower speed and increase torque to desired levels.

3D blueprint for robot full torso

Robot blueprint forearm detail with muscles labeled

Robot blueprint leg detail motor and muscle string placements and spacing

Robot shoulder blueprint detail with muscles labeled

Robot neck design which has tubing for breathing and drinking icewater for cooling systems

Robot blueprint midsection detail with batteries in black, a semi transparent main pc behind them, and the artificial lungs and heart behind that for cooling system
artbyrobot offline

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1