amateur question for controlling dynamixel RX-64

Discussions regarding building a walking robot at home. Most of the robots participating at Robo-One competitions are custom fabricated.
2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1

amateur question for controlling dynamixel RX-64

Post by VeraGene » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Post by VeraGene
Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi,

I am building a 80cm long 2-link robot arm and I will be using 2 dynamixel RX-64 motors to control the arm. May I know what kind of board is compatible with dynamixel RX-64? Is Arduino UNO or Nano suitable?

The movement control of the motor is to drive it slowly using a joystick and hopefully I can use RX-64 function for load feedback.

Thank you !
VeraGene
Hi,

I am building a 80cm long 2-link robot arm and I will be using 2 dynamixel RX-64 motors to control the arm. May I know what kind of board is compatible with dynamixel RX-64? Is Arduino UNO or Nano suitable?

The movement control of the motor is to drive it slowly using a joystick and hopefully I can use RX-64 function for load feedback.

Thank you !
VeraGene
VeraGene

Re: amateur question for controlling dynamixel RX-64

Post by xevel » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Post by xevel
Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Hey,

You might want to look at the various controllers out there. Using an arduino is possible but will require some coding and some miscellanous hardware.

The OpenCM9.04 is a good cheap option, programable, so you could write what is needed to interface it with an app (that you would have to write too on your computer that would handle the joystick.

The Arbotix is another good choice, there is already some arm control code available, though you surely would need to modify it.

Another alternative would be the USB2AX or USB2Dynamixel, which are simple USB adapters used to talk to the servos (contrary to the previous two, they are not really programmable, they just shuffle data from your computer to the servos and back). With these you can then use any of the Dynamixel libraries available.

In all cases you will have to write some software, I don't think you will find a package that directly do what you want (aside from ROS maybe, but I'm not knowledgable enough about it to be sure).
Hey,

You might want to look at the various controllers out there. Using an arduino is possible but will require some coding and some miscellanous hardware.

The OpenCM9.04 is a good cheap option, programable, so you could write what is needed to interface it with an app (that you would have to write too on your computer that would handle the joystick.

The Arbotix is another good choice, there is already some arm control code available, though you surely would need to modify it.

Another alternative would be the USB2AX or USB2Dynamixel, which are simple USB adapters used to talk to the servos (contrary to the previous two, they are not really programmable, they just shuffle data from your computer to the servos and back). With these you can then use any of the Dynamixel libraries available.

In all cases you will have to write some software, I don't think you will find a package that directly do what you want (aside from ROS maybe, but I'm not knowledgable enough about it to be sure).
xevel
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1