Quadrobot 17 - Four legged robot

Discussions regarding building a walking robot at home. Most of the robots participating at Robo-One competitions are custom fabricated.
2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1

Quadrobot 17 - Four legged robot

Post by Dimitris » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:16 pm

Post by Dimitris
Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi all,

This is a post introducing a quadruped robot I've been working on this year.

It began as a learning exercise in Autodesk Fusion 360, but now I have sourced the hardware and the legs have been assembled, along with a temporary chassis, as well as some test kinematics code.

Here is a recent video of the progress made so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc8oe3zt6aA

This robot uses AX-12A Dynamixel servos. The legs currently have 20 DOF and there are an additional 2 DOF for the body. Servos and brackets are from the Robotis range, with some replaced by their metal counterparts available from Trossen Robotics. They are painted to match the colour theme. The rest of the parts will be mostly 3D printed where appropriate. The main framework of printed parts forming the body will be sandwiched between 1.6 mm thick custom aluminium plates.

The novel aspects of this quadruped are its articulated legs, which have higher DOF than usually found on small quadrupeds, and its articulated "spine", which will help it in navigating uneven terrain.

The advantage of the quadruped is its capability to carry heavier loads and provide a stable platform for sensors, hence the idea to add a 3D scanner later on! The size of a RealSense/Kinect etc. seems to be perfectly fitting with the rest of the profile.

I will try and post developments here as I go along, but if you are interested in following the build progress more closely, and also reading in more detail about what has been done so far, please visit my website:
https://dxydas.com/category/robotics/quadrobot-project/
Hi all,

This is a post introducing a quadruped robot I've been working on this year.

It began as a learning exercise in Autodesk Fusion 360, but now I have sourced the hardware and the legs have been assembled, along with a temporary chassis, as well as some test kinematics code.

Here is a recent video of the progress made so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc8oe3zt6aA

This robot uses AX-12A Dynamixel servos. The legs currently have 20 DOF and there are an additional 2 DOF for the body. Servos and brackets are from the Robotis range, with some replaced by their metal counterparts available from Trossen Robotics. They are painted to match the colour theme. The rest of the parts will be mostly 3D printed where appropriate. The main framework of printed parts forming the body will be sandwiched between 1.6 mm thick custom aluminium plates.

The novel aspects of this quadruped are its articulated legs, which have higher DOF than usually found on small quadrupeds, and its articulated "spine", which will help it in navigating uneven terrain.

The advantage of the quadruped is its capability to carry heavier loads and provide a stable platform for sensors, hence the idea to add a 3D scanner later on! The size of a RealSense/Kinect etc. seems to be perfectly fitting with the rest of the profile.

I will try and post developments here as I go along, but if you are interested in following the build progress more closely, and also reading in more detail about what has been done so far, please visit my website:
https://dxydas.com/category/robotics/quadrobot-project/
Attachments
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 22795 times
IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 22795 times
Main_2017-Feb-13_11-34-32PM-000_CustomizedView22841699829.png
Main_2017-Feb-13_11-34-32PM-000_CustomizedView22841699829.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 22796 times
IMG_3525.JPG
IMG_3525.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 22796 times
Dimitris offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Re: Quadrobot 17 - Four legged robot

Post by JenniferT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:14 am

Post by JenniferT
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:14 am

Hello Dimitris,
I am very much interested in robotic and i have recently seen your video in given link , it is nice ...keep it up.
Hello Dimitris,
I am very much interested in robotic and i have recently seen your video in given link , it is nice ...keep it up.
JenniferT offline

2 postsPage 1 of 1
2 postsPage 1 of 1