Custom Humanoid Robot Parts?

Discussions regarding building a walking robot at home. Most of the robots participating at Robo-One competitions are custom fabricated.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

Custom Humanoid Robot Parts?

Post by robogeek3 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:22 am

Post by robogeek3
Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:22 am

I want to make custom parts for my robonova. So what should I use to shape the brackets? I do not have anything special I can use to cut out parts, just scissors. Is there a durable cardboard or aluminum? Clay?
I want to make custom parts for my robonova. So what should I use to shape the brackets? I do not have anything special I can use to cut out parts, just scissors. Is there a durable cardboard or aluminum? Clay?
robogeek3 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by i-Bot » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 am

Post by i-Bot
Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:20 am

When you say "brackets", I assume you mean non structural parts. Any load bearing parts really need thicker plastic or metal.

Thin aluminium can be cut with scissors. Try drinks cans, thin aluminium cookware and other scrap. Gloves are advisable, also small file or abrasive sheet to remove sharp bits. Dismantle old scrap small domestic electronic equipment (vcr, tv, laptop) for screws, brackets, and fixings.

Plastic sheet, like Plastruct can be cut with scissors and there are plenty of other mouldings. Plastic fizzy drink containers provide thin plastic sheet. Try different glues. Build layers or structures to increase strength.

Show us how you get on.
When you say "brackets", I assume you mean non structural parts. Any load bearing parts really need thicker plastic or metal.

Thin aluminium can be cut with scissors. Try drinks cans, thin aluminium cookware and other scrap. Gloves are advisable, also small file or abrasive sheet to remove sharp bits. Dismantle old scrap small domestic electronic equipment (vcr, tv, laptop) for screws, brackets, and fixings.

Plastic sheet, like Plastruct can be cut with scissors and there are plenty of other mouldings. Plastic fizzy drink containers provide thin plastic sheet. Try different glues. Build layers or structures to increase strength.

Show us how you get on.
i-Bot offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by l3v3rz » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Post by l3v3rz
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:46 pm

If you're not mechanically minded or have right tools (like me) then 3D printing is a great way to go. Design in google sketch up - send to shapeways.com to print. Take about 2 weeks and you have precision part. 2mm abs plastic is strong enough for hobby brackets. Plus you may even find open source/public ones you down load and modify for the RN on the thingyverse or other sites.

3D printed robot with ultra cheap servos and Pololu micro-controller.
If you're not mechanically minded or have right tools (like me) then 3D printing is a great way to go. Design in google sketch up - send to shapeways.com to print. Take about 2 weeks and you have precision part. 2mm abs plastic is strong enough for hobby brackets. Plus you may even find open source/public ones you down load and modify for the RN on the thingyverse or other sites.

3D printed robot with ultra cheap servos and Pololu micro-controller.
l3v3rz offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by mog123 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:10 am

Post by mog123
Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:10 am

This is how I design my parts.

I model them in inventor as metal sheets. I make holes smaller for screw threads (ie. diameter of 2,45 for an m3 screw). I unfold the bracket and edit it and add holes on the lines that I'm supposed to bend (I'm not paying for additional bending lol). Then I save a copy of the flattened part with holes and export is (save copy as...) as a dwg or dxf and send it to a water cutting company.
This is how I design my parts.

I model them in inventor as metal sheets. I make holes smaller for screw threads (ie. diameter of 2,45 for an m3 screw). I unfold the bracket and edit it and add holes on the lines that I'm supposed to bend (I'm not paying for additional bending lol). Then I save a copy of the flattened part with holes and export is (save copy as...) as a dwg or dxf and send it to a water cutting company.
mog123 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:05 am

Post by Joe
Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:05 am

l3v3rz, thanks for the tip about shapeways.com; I hadn't seen them before and they look like a great option.

mog123, is there a water cutting company you particularly like? I've spent some time surfing around for one but haven't yet found one that seems hobbyist-friendly.

Thanks,
- Joe
l3v3rz, thanks for the tip about shapeways.com; I hadn't seen them before and they look like a great option.

mog123, is there a water cutting company you particularly like? I've spent some time surfing around for one but haven't yet found one that seems hobbyist-friendly.

Thanks,
- Joe
Joe offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by mog123 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Post by mog123
Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:35 pm

Well, I'm located in Poland so this might not help you at all, but I'm cutting all my sheets at amaprofil (http://www.amaprofil.pl). For cutting my parts with some spares they took like a 100-120$ + shipping. Then you just need to bend em on your own. If you're not that greedy, they can bend it for you. last time I checked it was 10$ for them to start up the machine and 0,7$ per bending.
Well, I'm located in Poland so this might not help you at all, but I'm cutting all my sheets at amaprofil (http://www.amaprofil.pl). For cutting my parts with some spares they took like a 100-120$ + shipping. Then you just need to bend em on your own. If you're not that greedy, they can bend it for you. last time I checked it was 10$ for them to start up the machine and 0,7$ per bending.
mog123 offline
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1