Up-Tech CDS55xx Servos

Discussions regarding building a walking robot at home. Most of the robots participating at Robo-One competitions are custom fabricated.
3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1

Up-Tech CDS55xx Servos

Post by Joe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Post by Joe
Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:15 pm

I got my first UpTech servo today, a CDS5500. Since some of the details about this servo are hard to find, I thought I'd post my findings here.

This is everything that comes in the box; you don't get any cables, servo horn, mounting screws, etc. As you can see, it really does basically follow the standard hobby servo shape. However, it has another M3 threaded mounting point directly opposite the servo spline, as you can see in this back view.

Also visible here are the connectors. Note that there is an error in the servo data sheet: it says to use Molex 50-37-5043, but that's a 4-position connector, when in fact you want only three. The correct part number is 50-37-5033.

The servo is a bit too long to fit most LynxMotion brackets. Here, for example, is a shot of it trying to work with an ASB-04, which is basically the cornerstone of the whole LynxMotion bracket system:

There's about a 3mm gap between the servo tabs and the bracket. I suppose you could make it work if you put in some sort of spacer plate, though you'd need to attach with screws and nuts rather than the cool plastic rivet things.

Finally, nothing I could find on the net or in Up-Tech's documentation says what sort of output spline it uses, but it definitely doesn't fit Hitec servo horns. I count 25 teeth, so I believe it to be Futaba compatible. (I'm going to buy some Futaba servo horns today to verify this.)

Without a servo horn, I'm completely unable to turn the output spline by hand. I also don't have the cabling yet to actually hook this thing up and try it out (though those parts are on order!). So I can't be sure whether the mounting point on the backside rotates with the spline or not. It looks like not, but the manual says "Double-side output shaft." So we'll just have to wait and see.

Overall I'm pretty excited about this servo — once we get some cables and brackets made, it looks like it's going to work really well.
I got my first UpTech servo today, a CDS5500. Since some of the details about this servo are hard to find, I thought I'd post my findings here.

This is everything that comes in the box; you don't get any cables, servo horn, mounting screws, etc. As you can see, it really does basically follow the standard hobby servo shape. However, it has another M3 threaded mounting point directly opposite the servo spline, as you can see in this back view.

Also visible here are the connectors. Note that there is an error in the servo data sheet: it says to use Molex 50-37-5043, but that's a 4-position connector, when in fact you want only three. The correct part number is 50-37-5033.

The servo is a bit too long to fit most LynxMotion brackets. Here, for example, is a shot of it trying to work with an ASB-04, which is basically the cornerstone of the whole LynxMotion bracket system:

There's about a 3mm gap between the servo tabs and the bracket. I suppose you could make it work if you put in some sort of spacer plate, though you'd need to attach with screws and nuts rather than the cool plastic rivet things.

Finally, nothing I could find on the net or in Up-Tech's documentation says what sort of output spline it uses, but it definitely doesn't fit Hitec servo horns. I count 25 teeth, so I believe it to be Futaba compatible. (I'm going to buy some Futaba servo horns today to verify this.)

Without a servo horn, I'm completely unable to turn the output spline by hand. I also don't have the cabling yet to actually hook this thing up and try it out (though those parts are on order!). So I can't be sure whether the mounting point on the backside rotates with the spline or not. It looks like not, but the manual says "Double-side output shaft." So we'll just have to wait and see.

Overall I'm pretty excited about this servo — once we get some cables and brackets made, it looks like it's going to work really well.
Joe
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by Joe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Post by Joe
Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Update: the output spline is indeed Futaba compatible; and (contrary to the docs) the output shaft is not double-sided. The M3 screw hole opposite the output shaft doesn't rotate with along with the spline.

I'm reasonably content with this; the thing to do is screw in a nylon bushing or bearing or some such, and then the other side of the bracket (opposite what's attached to the servo horn) can rotate on that. A true double-sided output shaft would be better, because it wouldn't apply twisting forces to the bracket. But in practice it doesn't seem to matter much, and a convenient idler bearing is about a gazillion times better than nothing at all!
Update: the output spline is indeed Futaba compatible; and (contrary to the docs) the output shaft is not double-sided. The M3 screw hole opposite the output shaft doesn't rotate with along with the spline.

I'm reasonably content with this; the thing to do is screw in a nylon bushing or bearing or some such, and then the other side of the bracket (opposite what's attached to the servo horn) can rotate on that. A true double-sided output shaft would be better, because it wouldn't apply twisting forces to the bracket. But in practice it doesn't seem to matter much, and a convenient idler bearing is about a gazillion times better than nothing at all!
Joe
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by limor » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Post by limor
Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Hi Joe
Thanks for the review and pictures and please do continue to explore and post. I'm particularly interested in the internals (motor, gears etc.).
We (RoboSavvy) have been in touch with up-tech and springrc last year but decided not to stock them at the time because their price/performance didn't really provide enough wow-factor compared to Robotis
Hi Joe
Thanks for the review and pictures and please do continue to explore and post. I'm particularly interested in the internals (motor, gears etc.).
We (RoboSavvy) have been in touch with up-tech and springrc last year but decided not to stock them at the time because their price/performance didn't really provide enough wow-factor compared to Robotis
limor
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

3 postsPage 1 of 1
3 postsPage 1 of 1