Controller w/ software?

Discussions regarding building a walking robot at home. Most of the robots participating at Robo-One competitions are custom fabricated.
4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1

Controller w/ software?

Post by roborobot123 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Post by roborobot123
Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to the community so I will start by saying that I am very excited to learn more about robotics from you enthusiasts! I am currently trying to build my first robot however don't really have the time to do all the coding myself. I was wondering if someone knows of a piece of software that would allow you to add and remove functions easily? Any advice on this and a controller that would work well with the software would be fantastic! I'm not looking to build a humanoid as my first robot because I know software might be out of the question for that. Something on wheels or a track with a couple arms and head movement. A distance sensor and a camera perhaps.

Thanks in advance for the insight!!
Hi there,

I'm new to the community so I will start by saying that I am very excited to learn more about robotics from you enthusiasts! I am currently trying to build my first robot however don't really have the time to do all the coding myself. I was wondering if someone knows of a piece of software that would allow you to add and remove functions easily? Any advice on this and a controller that would work well with the software would be fantastic! I'm not looking to build a humanoid as my first robot because I know software might be out of the question for that. Something on wheels or a track with a couple arms and head movement. A distance sensor and a camera perhaps.

Thanks in advance for the insight!!
roborobot123

Post by PedroR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Post by PedroR
Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi

For your requirements I assume you will want to sue standard PWM servos so probably an Arduino MEGA would be ideal.

I would recommend that you check out the RedBack Spider Controller (http://robosavvy.com/store/redback)

It is base don Arduino MEGA but includes an Onboard switching regulator and breaks out all the DIO pins into servo headers (with power Vdd and Signal coming from the Arduino) which makes Building the Robot fairy simple.

With regards to code, there are lots of Arduino sample codes out there.

I would also suggest that you check the letsmakerobots.com website for more information.

Regards
Pedro
Hi

For your requirements I assume you will want to sue standard PWM servos so probably an Arduino MEGA would be ideal.

I would recommend that you check out the RedBack Spider Controller (http://robosavvy.com/store/redback)

It is base don Arduino MEGA but includes an Onboard switching regulator and breaks out all the DIO pins into servo headers (with power Vdd and Signal coming from the Arduino) which makes Building the Robot fairy simple.

With regards to code, there are lots of Arduino sample codes out there.

I would also suggest that you check the letsmakerobots.com website for more information.

Regards
Pedro
PedroR
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by roborobot123 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Post by roborobot123
Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 pm

So for arduino sample code I would just copy and paste it so that my robot would perform a set action? If I was looking to make my robot do a new action would I then delete the old code and paste some new stuff in there?

Does sound like the Arduino Mega is a neat board. I'll definitely look around and do some more research on letsmakerobots.com.

Thanks!

If you or anyone else has some useful tips or tricks or has another solution for software it would be great. I really don't want to mess around with programming/ coding.
So for arduino sample code I would just copy and paste it so that my robot would perform a set action? If I was looking to make my robot do a new action would I then delete the old code and paste some new stuff in there?

Does sound like the Arduino Mega is a neat board. I'll definitely look around and do some more research on letsmakerobots.com.

Thanks!

If you or anyone else has some useful tips or tricks or has another solution for software it would be great. I really don't want to mess around with programming/ coding.
roborobot123

Post by PedroR » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Post by PedroR
Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:58 pm

In theory if you build a Robot in the exact same configuration as some sample from letsmakerobots (or any other website), the sample code provide d should work.

However, be advised that if you assemble the servos in a differnet manner or use a different Robot construction, the Arduino Sample code iwll need to be modified by you.

If you wish to avoid all programming, I then recommend picking up a ready to use kit (such as the Robobuilder Black Edition or Red Edition - see here http://robosavvy.com/store/robobuilder ).

Regards
In theory if you build a Robot in the exact same configuration as some sample from letsmakerobots (or any other website), the sample code provide d should work.

However, be advised that if you assemble the servos in a differnet manner or use a different Robot construction, the Arduino Sample code iwll need to be modified by you.

If you wish to avoid all programming, I then recommend picking up a ready to use kit (such as the Robobuilder Black Edition or Red Edition - see here http://robosavvy.com/store/robobuilder ).

Regards
PedroR
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

4 postsPage 1 of 1
4 postsPage 1 of 1