choosing parts please help

Discussions regarding building a walking robot at home. Most of the robots participating at Robo-One competitions are custom fabricated.
6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1

choosing parts please help

Post by christ » Fri May 18, 2012 10:40 pm

Post by christ
Fri May 18, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi! I want to create a project.. i decided to buy some parts but im not sure for the rest thats why im going to ask you for help..okay im buying for sure an ebox mini pc... now the difficult is servo controller and motor controller..because the motor that i will use is 40A(or more) i cannot use any controller from this site..so i found a brushless motor controller 40A(and more Amber) which says that it Takes PPM input... my problem is that the servo controllers that i want to buy from this site all of them say PWM.. is this a problem or its just the code that i will use to communicate from the computer(or ebox) to the servo controller? I mean can i connect the brushless controller which says that takes PPM input to the PWM servo controller?
Please help me..

thanks in advance!
Hi! I want to create a project.. i decided to buy some parts but im not sure for the rest thats why im going to ask you for help..okay im buying for sure an ebox mini pc... now the difficult is servo controller and motor controller..because the motor that i will use is 40A(or more) i cannot use any controller from this site..so i found a brushless motor controller 40A(and more Amber) which says that it Takes PPM input... my problem is that the servo controllers that i want to buy from this site all of them say PWM.. is this a problem or its just the code that i will use to communicate from the computer(or ebox) to the servo controller? I mean can i connect the brushless controller which says that takes PPM input to the PWM servo controller?
Please help me..

thanks in advance!
christ

Post by christ » Sat May 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Post by christ
Sat May 19, 2012 11:15 pm

noone? im just wondering if i can connect the brushless motor controller(which says that takes PPM input) to a pwm servo controller.. thanks..
noone? im just wondering if i can connect the brushless motor controller(which says that takes PPM input) to a pwm servo controller.. thanks..
christ

Post by sap1975 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:31 am

Post by sap1975
Sun May 20, 2012 7:31 am

Hi there

Now as far as i know the answer is no. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
PPM and PWM are inherently different and not interchangeable as such.
For RC use you normally gang together multiple PWM signals in a single PPM "stream".

However... Most RC ESC's are PWM so it should be a fairly simple matter of finding the right ESC.

Cheers
/Stig.
Hi there

Now as far as i know the answer is no. (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
PPM and PWM are inherently different and not interchangeable as such.
For RC use you normally gang together multiple PWM signals in a single PPM "stream".

However... Most RC ESC's are PWM so it should be a fairly simple matter of finding the right ESC.

Cheers
/Stig.
sap1975
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by christ » Sun May 20, 2012 10:43 am

Post by christ
Sun May 20, 2012 10:43 am

hi. thanks for your answer.. i ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/120446384886 i read in one site that this esc takes PPM input.. i cannot find ESC for PWM.. could you help me? thank you!
hi. thanks for your answer.. i ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/120446384886 i read in one site that this esc takes PPM input.. i cannot find ESC for PWM.. could you help me? thank you!
christ

Post by sap1975 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:58 am

Post by sap1975
Sun May 20, 2012 10:58 am

You're welcome.

This looks like the standard mislabelling/confusion in the RC world.
I'll give you a 95% chance that this is going to work just fine using PWM and if you hit it with a true PPM signal its going to go all "wonky" on you.

In short...
Don't worry about it. It's gonna work just fine :)

You can find a basic explanation on the difference here.
http://www.endurance-rc.com/ppmtut.php

Cheers
/Stig.
You're welcome.

This looks like the standard mislabelling/confusion in the RC world.
I'll give you a 95% chance that this is going to work just fine using PWM and if you hit it with a true PPM signal its going to go all "wonky" on you.

In short...
Don't worry about it. It's gonna work just fine :)

You can find a basic explanation on the difference here.
http://www.endurance-rc.com/ppmtut.php

Cheers
/Stig.
sap1975
Savvy Roboteer
Savvy Roboteer

Post by christ » Sun May 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Post by christ
Sun May 20, 2012 1:43 pm

i really appreciate your help. i thought i needed to have a ppm servo controller but it looks like i can connect this ppm motor controller to the pwm servo controller and probably i just need to use different c or vb code to make it work :) thanks
i really appreciate your help. i thought i needed to have a ppm servo controller but it looks like i can connect this ppm motor controller to the pwm servo controller and probably i just need to use different c or vb code to make it work :) thanks
christ

6 postsPage 1 of 1
6 postsPage 1 of 1